Deployment of non-vanilla site?

Topics: Installing Orchard, Troubleshooting
Sep 24, 2013 at 12:26 PM
OK. Let me prefix this by saying I'm probably being stupid and I've missed something obvious.
However, I'm really struggling to get my head around how this should work.

I have an Orchard website that was built with WebMatrix. It's in source control (git) and I can deploy from WebMatrix to my W2K8 server running IIS no problem. However, I can't load this site in Visual Studio - it isn't part of the "full source" build.

There's tons of info about publishing a clean install of Orchard to a new server using Visual Studio. I can do that fine. The "full source" builds and deploys nicely, but I don't want a clean-install deployment I want my existing site deployed.

How do I take my existing WebMatrix-built Orchard site and publish it with Visual Studio 2012 though? What are the steps required?
I figure I must have to do something with the web project in the full source? No idea what though and the few things I've tried have resulted in a project that won't even compile.

Sep 24, 2013 at 4:30 PM
Edited Sep 24, 2013 at 4:31 PM
Copy it over src/Orchard.Web. Add any module project you added to the solution under the modules folder. Add your theme to the project (show all files from solution explorer, select the missing theme folder under Themes, add to project).
Sep 24, 2013 at 4:36 PM
BertrandLeRoy wrote:
Add any module project you added to the solution under the modules folder.
Hi Bertrand,

Thanks for a quick response. Sorry for being such an idiot :)
When you say "added", do you mean modules installed from the Gallery, or just modules that have been enabled?
Sep 24, 2013 at 5:01 PM
Edited Sep 24, 2013 at 5:02 PM
OK Next problem.
The first module I have included in my WebMatrix project that isn't in the vanilla web project is "MAPS", but when I try to add it I get a Visual Studio error.
This version of Visual Studio does not have the following project types installed or does not support them. You can still open these projects in the version of Visual Studio in which they were originally created.

It looks like it's something to do with the project being MVC2 ?
Sep 24, 2013 at 5:55 PM
Any module that isn't in the vanilla Orchard from source code.

For that old module, you'll need to edit the project file manually and update the project types. Just copy those from a project that works.
Sep 26, 2013 at 8:24 AM
Edited Sep 26, 2013 at 8:24 AM
OK. Got it sorted.
I ran into a couple of issues that are already solved in other posts:
1 - not all my modules were included by MSBuild

2 - some of extra modules I included needed to have some content-type settings changed from "None" to "Content" for the view files.

Also, to be clear, Bertrand's answer regarding the "missing folder under Themes" is referring to the "Themes" solution folder, not the "Themes" folder within the web project(!)

Next step for me is to take this process and put it into a TeamCity project. Wish me luck :)