"Show on the Main Menu" - Variations from Orchard 1.4 to Orchard 1.7

Topics: General
Sep 11, 2013 at 3:34 PM
I am a total beginner in orchard and I am following a pdf-tutorial for practicing a website on Orhard 1.4. When trying to add new pages I see no slot for “Show on the main menu” in the orchard 1.7 downloaded by me from the App Gallery in Web Matrix3. The slot: “Show on the main menu” is clearly shown in the pdf as well as in numerous examples tutorials for building orchard website.
One can guess variations from Orchard 1.4 to Orchard 1.7 as is visible from the slot “set as home page” which was at the right in Orchard 1.4 but it is shown on the left in Orchard 1.7. In the hope to find some ingenious way for adding new pages in Orchard 1.7, I have wasted much time in finding some way-around but in vain.
Kindly help me out of this predicament as well as all the variations in orchard from 1.4 to 1.7. for ensuring smooth sailing through the tutorials.

Thank you in anticipation.
Coordinator
Sep 11, 2013 at 7:20 PM
You should start by not posting the same message dozens of times.

The menu UI is still there if you have the menu part attached to the content type. Go to Content Definition, edit the content type that you are editing and check if the part is there. If it's not, add it.
Sep 12, 2013 at 6:36 PM

1. Thank you for the help.
  2. Sorry for the inconvenience caused by nine repetitions which were not intentional but may be caused by the corrupt soft ware or some virus type problem which also explains nine times home tab added to the orchard website as a result of one click.
  3. When I acted upon your advice was reverting back to the original page and clicked a second save button on my way back, the following error is caused:
Oops. Something went wrong ... sorry
An unhandled exception has occurred and the request was terminated. Please refresh the page. If the error persists, go back

Sequence contains more than one matching element
System.InvalidOperationException: Sequence contains more than one matching element at System.Linq.Enumerable.SingleOrDefault[TSource](IEnumerable1 source, Func2 predicate) at Orchard.ContentManagement.MetaData.Builders.ContentTypeDefinitionBuilder.WithPart(ContentPartDefinition partDefinition, Action1 configuration) in c:\Orchard\src\Orchard\ContentManagement\MetaData\Builders\ContentTypeDefinitionBuilder.cs:line 66 at Orchard.ContentTypes.Services.ContentDefinitionService.<>c__DisplayClass10.<AlterType>b__7(ContentTypeDefinitionBuilder typeBuilder) at Orchard.ContentManagement.MetaData.ContentDefinitionManagerExtensions.AlterTypeDefinition(IContentDefinitionManager manager, String name, Action1 alteration) in c:\Orchard\src\Orchard\ContentManagement\MetaData\IContentDefinitionManager.cs:line 26 at Orchard.ContentTypes.Services.ContentDefinitionService.AlterType(EditTypeViewModel typeViewModel, IUpdateModel updateModel) at Orchard.ContentTypes.Controllers.AdminController.EditPOST(String id) at lambda_method(Closure , ControllerBase , Object[] ) at System.Web.Mvc.ActionMethodDispatcher.Execute(ControllerBase controller, Object[] parameters) at System.Web.Mvc.ReflectedActionDescriptor.Execute(ControllerContext controllerContext, IDictionary2 parameters) at System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethod(ControllerContext controllerContext, ActionDescriptor actionDescriptor, IDictionary2 parameters) at System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.<>c__DisplayClass13.<InvokeActionMethodWithFilters>b__10() at System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethodFilter(IActionFilter filter, ActionExecutingContext preContext, Func1 continuation) at System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.<>c__DisplayClass13.<>c__DisplayClass15.<InvokeActionMethodWithFilters>b__12() at System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethodFilter(IActionFilter filter, ActionExecutingContext preContext, Func1 continuation) at System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.<>c__DisplayClass13.<>c__DisplayClass15.<InvokeActionMethodWithFilters>b__12() at System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethodFilter(IActionFilter filter, ActionExecutingContext preContext, Func`1 continuation)
  1. Thank you in anticipation.

Coordinator
Sep 13, 2013 at 12:15 AM
You should probably start by fixing that mouse button problem...
Sep 14, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Edited Sep 14, 2013 at 2:51 PM
Hi BertrandLeRoy! you are helping me quite patiently. God bless you.
     I dealt the "Show on the main page"  as content parts as you advised  but in vain and I  consider attempting it  the otherway as follows, JUST FOR MINUTELY ANALYZING PROBLEM, & learning it from you:  

1 Considering:
                  i. Page             ---    Content Item
                 ii. Page "About" ---    Content Type
                iii. Components 
                    of Page About --    Content  Parts
                 iv. Slot "Show 
                     on the Main
                     Menu"   ---         Content Field (It is fixed in my mind that  a few words in a slot are content field)

( it resulted into the message The Field "Show in the Main Menu" is already entered - If field is already entered why it is not visible)
2.A Second Question with Your permission: My project is not loaded in Visual Studio 2012. Only the name of the Project is Transferred but not essential parts. I wanted to take advantage of Debug and Stop Debugging feature in Visual Studio for Customizing the home page of Orchard because when I see the source code of home page. I just can not do any changes in it. How to switch the Web Matrix to Stop-Debug mode so that I can change the Orchard Home Page.
  1. How to bring changes in Orchard Home page when in Web Matrix?
Thanking you in anticipation