Fix 1.7 Featured Image Slider Upload Button

Topics: Administration, Core, Customizing Orchard, General, Installing Orchard, Localization, Writing modules, Writing themes
Sep 6, 2013 at 9:51 PM
The upload image button disappeared when working with 1.7. Is there anyway I can code it to get it working?

Sep 7, 2013 at 12:41 AM
Looks like that module is incompatible with 1.7. You should contact its author.
Sep 10, 2013 at 3:01 AM
Hi guys, first off - I've read that the author [ NimblePros ] is no longer developing for Orchard in a couple of threads - so I assume that to be true. So, basically - I'm in the same boat, but with very little coding knowledge to amend this scenario. Anyhow, I've been attempting to alter this module, so far-

*I've changed the migration from MediaPickerField to:
.WithField("Picture", cfg => cfg.OfType("MediaLibraryPickerField"))
( I can now add an image to this contenttype unlike the example above)

But i'm struggling to get an image to display in my view [...with the old code, the url path is now displaying the ID of the image record]
string backgroundImageStyle = useBackgroundImages ? "background-image:url('" + @Url.Content(featuredItem.ImagePath) +  "');" : "";
so how do I go about accessing the image path via this ID, when I debug, I can't find it anywhere? Any help will be greatly appreciated, cheers Gil
Sep 10, 2013 at 2:07 PM
@Bertrand LeRoy why do you partner with developers who do not update or discontinue their work. In addition to the Feature Image Slider there are several other modules to download but they have not been updated to use with current Orchard Projects. The Orchard project is a well developed CMS, there should be an accountability protocol to ensure developers update their stuff.
Sep 10, 2013 at 4:31 PM
@mercer9258, NimblePros has been acquired by Telerik, and since Telerik had a well known CMS (Sitefinty) they had no choice but to stop they work on Orchard which is completely logical.

As for the other modules, the only solution we have is to deprecate them if they don't work anymore. We also try not to add too many breaking changes on each Orchard release, but when we do it's to enable more scenarios. And we can't force anyone to upgrade their modules too.
Sep 10, 2013 at 5:23 PM
"Partner"?? What do you mean by that? Subscriptions on the gallery are free and open to anyone. We are thinking about setting-up a crowd-sourced version compatibility feature on the next version of the gallery, but in the meantime, we don't have nearly the resources to verify each and every module that gets submitted. We're an open-source project with only the resources that the community can provide.
Sep 12, 2013 at 10:39 AM
This is a risk to Orchard developers, and more importantly novice CMS developers. Modules that worked on pre-releases of Orchard and not supported on newer versions (or with similar functionality). The slider feature was a popular module. The new “insert image” feature is limited to what the previous versions had to offer (adding a class and sizing, importing images and duplication). I am concerned about what new version might introduce, adaptability/redesign/redevelopment efforts. Personally v1.6 was more usable for “non-developer” than 1.7.
Sep 12, 2013 at 11:51 PM
It is a risk, yes. We welcome all efforts to help correct this. On that particular case, the media overhaul was more than necessary and long overdue. It was one of those things that were constantly being flagged by users as something that was holding Orchard back in comparison with other CMS. The change came at a price.
Nov 29, 2013 at 4:50 AM
Edited Nov 29, 2013 at 4:52 AM
This seems to be a simple fix.For FeaturedItem type Change it to use MediaLibraryPickerField instead of Media Picker.Change the source code to get the image path from MediaLibraryPickerField in \src\Orchard.Web\Modules\FeaturedItemSlider\Drivers\FeaturedItemSliderWidgetPartDriver.cs

ImagePath= (fi.Fields.Single() as dynamic).MediaParts[0].MediaUrl //Not sure if this casting approach is right

And it works!
Jan 29, 2014 at 7:18 PM
Hi Gents,

I have over 40 sites in production using Orchard CMS. I absolutely love the product and after weeks and weeks of resource time committed to development of sites using Orchard I'm excited about the future.

Saying all this, the slider is an extremely important part of a website and to have no upgrade path or module is a major concern. Do we have some ETA on this fix?

I've tried the fix posted on without success. Can someone else confirm that this fix actually works?

Jan 29, 2014 at 7:40 PM
The way I interpreted BertrandLeRoy initial reply is you are on your own if you can't get help from the plugin author. In this case since plugin author was bought out by another .net CMS provider, so it looks you are out of luck if you are unable to code your own fix. I loved Orchard too, but I had to go back to Wordpress because of issues like this.
Feb 20, 2014 at 5:53 PM
I have a version on GitHub that runs on Orchard 1.7 and uses the Media Library.

It does not upgrade the existing NimblePros Slider. It is only expected to be used on new Orchard 1.7+ Websites.

If it helps, by all means use it. I have no plans to add it to the Orchard Gallery at the moment since I don't normally use it and it was just a quick change for a client.

See my blog post, which contains a link to GitHub.

Featured Item Slider for Orchard 1.7

Feb 22, 2014 at 2:19 AM
Thank you very much Dave,

I've been having to throw up hard coded nivo sliders.

I mean it's bad enough we are subjected to the dumping down of Flash files to javascript, care of our friend Mr Jobs, however I'd be at a loss trying to charge a customer for changing the images.