Comment functionality works locally but not on remote host.

Topics: Troubleshooting
Sep 1, 2013 at 5:17 PM
Using Orchard 1.7

I have working locally, a blog with commenting. Also reCaptcha is working. However when the site is uploaded to the remote host I am unable to view or add comments on the blogging page.

Is it proper to leave a link to the website page of interest here?

Does anyone have any idea what I may have missed.
Coordinator
Sep 1, 2013 at 8:38 PM
And everything else works? I'd guess the comments module wasn't properly uploaded. Anything in app_data\logs?
Sep 2, 2013 at 1:23 AM
Thank you for your timely response.

Yes, everything else is working. The site is LabelEase.com

app_data\logs:
I deleted all the logs, uploaded (refreshed) the site again with WebEx upload method.
Ran the Bog portion of the site.
Check the remote logs. Nothing showed up.

Comments.dll
Looked in remote\App_Data\Dependencies. Orchard.Comments is there.

If you go to the site (LabelEase.com) menu item Feedback one can see the functionalty of the menu item is ok. Clicking into the blog "Comments and Suggestions ..." is ok. But then Comments is not operating correctly.

I looked in the database at comments but was reluctant to touch anything.

Regards
Neil
Coordinator
Sep 2, 2013 at 1:52 AM
Does the comments menu entry show in the admin?
Sep 2, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Yes, there is one comment and it appears in the remote comments menu.

On the Edit Comment screen, this appears: Orchard.Comments.ViewModels.CommentsEditViewModel. This is probably not significant here but I’ve mentioned it.

Sep 2, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I checked the orchard-error log this morning. This is an excerpt of a commonly occurring error:

2013-09-01 17:11:11,880 [10] Orchard.DisplayManagement.Implementation.DefaultDisplayManager - NullReferenceException thrown from Action`1 by System.Action`1[[Orchard.DisplayManagement.Implementation.ShapeDisplayingContext, Orchard.Framework, Version=1.7.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null]]

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at Contoso.ShapeProviders.ContentShapeProvider.<Discover>b__3(ShapeDisplayingContext displaying)

at Orchard.DisplayManagement.Implementation.DefaultDisplayManager.<>c__DisplayClassc.<Execute>b__3(Action`1 action) in c:\Orchard\src\Orchard\DisplayManagement\Implementation\DefaultDisplayManager.cs:line 68

at Orchard.InvokeExtensions.Invoke[TEvents](IEnumerable`1 events, Action`1 dispatch, ILogger logger) in c:\Orchard\src\Orchard\InvokeExtensions.cs:line 17

Do you want the entire log?

Sep 2, 2013 at 1:14 PM

In trying to get a clean log entry of a possible error, I deleted the log file for today. Then I navigated the remote site (blogging area). These are the error codes that resulted.

ns.cs:line 17

2013-09-02 05:03:07,147 [37] Orchard.DisplayManagement.Implementation.DefaultDisplayManager - NullReferenceException thrown from Action`1 by System.Action`1[[Orchard.DisplayManagement.Implementation.ShapeDisplayingContext, Orchard.Framework, Version=1.7.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null]]

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at Contoso.ShapeProviders.ContentShapeProvider.<Discover>b__3(ShapeDisplayingContext displaying)

at Orchard.DisplayManagement.Implementation.DefaultDisplayManager.<>c__DisplayClassc.<Execute>b__3(Action`1 action) in c:\Orchard\src\Orchard\DisplayManagement\Implementation\DefaultDisplayManager.cs:line 68

at Orchard.InvokeExtensions.Invoke[TEvents](IEnumerable`1 events, Action`1 dispatch, ILogger logger) in c:\Orchard\src\Orchard\InvokeExtensions.cs:line 17

2013-09-02 05:03:11,640 [62] Orchard.DisplayManagement.Implementation.DefaultDisplayManager - NullReferenceException thrown from Action`1 by System.Action`1[[Orchard.DisplayManagement.Implementation.ShapeDisplayingContext, Orchard.Framework, Version=1.7.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null]]

2013-09-02 05:03:17,755 [12] Orchard.DisplayManagement.Implementation.DefaultDisplayManager - NullReferenceException thrown from Action`1 by System.Action`1[[Orchard.DisplayManagement.Implementation.ShapeDisplayingContext, Orchard.Framework, Version=1.7.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null]]

Coordinator
Sep 2, 2013 at 9:46 PM
Can you try with another theme, just to check, as it seems like Contoso is responsible for the problem?
Sep 3, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Thank you for your suggestion. I will examine another theme.

Sep 5, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I’m finally getting use to Orchard and I must say it is pretty damn slick. Changing themes is incredibly easy!

However I have tried the Theme Machine with no luck. (The result can be viewed at LabelEase.com)

The Feedback menu item leading to Blogging and Comments is not working correctly.

Regards
Neil

Coordinator
Sep 6, 2013 at 12:57 AM
How is it not working?