General Question on getting support for Orchard On Azure

Topics: Core, General, Installing Orchard, Troubleshooting
Aug 30, 2013 at 8:47 AM
Edited Aug 30, 2013 at 8:48 AM
We have opted for Orchard 1.7 as a CMS for a social platform build. Our solution will run on Azure using Azure PaaS capabilities : SQL Azure, Blob Storage, Web Roles.

We are in the process of getting our build and deployment environment set-up and are trying to meet the following objectives:
  • CI automated build of Orchard Solution with referenced dependant binaries (to avoid a full rebuild of the entire orchard solution every time)
  • CI Packaging and Deployment of the Orchard Windows Azure Solution to several environments. We are using Team City and need to de-couple the build step from the packaging and deploy step so we can 1) build and run unit tests and 2) package and deploy using selected environment config.
Getting this going (we are still not fully there yet) has been a painful, undocumented process.

I have two questions for the community:
  • Can you recommend any avenues for Orchard support (other than this forum). We are ideally looking for options for paid consultancy & technical support. Having this will help de-risk our project.
  • Orchard 1.7.1 seems to solve many issues around Azure Deployment. Can anyone give an indication when this will be a stable version to download?
Thanks in advance,

Aug 30, 2013 at 9:44 AM
Edited Aug 30, 2013 at 9:46 AM
Could I ask why you choose Paas rather than Iaas ? Cost ? Huge volumes ?
Having few users connections and on a starting project I choosed the VM solution which is far more easy to drive when you are fixing your project fonctionnal panel, no need for emulator in local dev, easy RDP connection to VM, easy Orchard adaptation on the VM, easy SQL Server management. When my own fonctionnal design will be fixed, I will eventually migrate Orchard to Roles/SQL Azure/Blobs .... which I actually uses for a non Orchard part of project.
Aug 30, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Hi Mark,

If you are looking for paid support, drop me an email at Jetski5822 at gmail dot com and we can chat about what kind of support you are looking for.

Cheers, Nick
Oct 10, 2013 at 8:29 PM
Hi Mark,

Orchard 1.7.1 does indeed improve Azure deployment a lot, especially for cloud services (PaaS). Not sure if you are still looking for assistance, but if so I might be able to help. I'm the one who implemented most of the Azure integration improvements in Orchard 1.7.1. Drop me a line at daniel.stolt(at) if you are still in need of consulting around this.

Kind regards,