Custom Web Application

Topics: Customizing Orchard
Aug 26, 2013 at 6:37 PM
Hello everyone,
I've been evaluating various ASP.Net CMS's, and have come to the conclusion that Orchard may be the best for CMS functionality, but I can't seem to figure if it will fit my specific needs.

I currently have a windows application that I need to convert to an ASP.Net application. It has roughly 30 forms and 30 tables. It does some pretty hefty number crunching, and creates reports for end users. Is this something I can build using Orchard? In particular, I'm looking if I can use Orchard's security system, and if I can create and assign whatever roles I think are applicable. Does it work well as a portal to something like this?

I've tried searching through the discussions here, but can't seem to find any specific answers. Sorry if this is a re-post.

Thanks for the help, have a great day,

Aug 26, 2013 at 9:12 PM
Orchard won't particularly help with the app itself (you should put it into a module, but use standard MVC techniques), but it will help with the rest of the site and standard services. Permissions, in particular, is something that you should be able to easily re-use. Try to think about checking permissions rather than roles however.
Aug 26, 2013 at 9:53 PM
Thanks for the reply. Let me make sure I got this straight. I can create the app using standard MVC methodology, then put it into an Orchard module? And by doing that, I'll be able to check the permission via Orchard for the various parts of my app? (I'm just hoping for a single login point) Thanks again,

Aug 27, 2013 at 12:29 AM
Yes, a module is basically an ASP.NET MVC area, with a few differences such as having to declare routes in a less global way, and having to provide a module manifest. You may use as little or as much of Orchard as you want.