VS2012 vs WebMatrix advice

Topics: Installing Orchard
Aug 19, 2013 at 2:20 AM
Edited Aug 19, 2013 at 2:22 AM
Hi,
We're just getting started with Orchard and we're looking to migrate some small MVC apps to Orchard modules. I initially installed Orchard through Web PI and got things running fine under IIS Express. I also installed a couple of modules including Profile.

Now I would like to start working in VS2012 and try to understand how everything works. When I launched VS from WebMatrix I got a bunch of errors pointing to the profile .csproj file. I also tried downloading the full source and this builds and runs fine, but is huge. I read on a previous post that the main Orchard.Web project can be open as a website. I attempted to do this from VS but then the global.asax throws an error: Could not load type 'Orchard.Web.MvcApplication'.

So i'm stuck how to move forward. If I use WebMatrix everything works fine but i'm stuck with limited features. I can instead work with the full source but this will slow down development. So I think I need something in between but I can't figure out the dependencies of all the projects and I keep breaking the solutions.

Does everyone use WebMatrix or is there another way?
Coordinator
Aug 22, 2013 at 5:33 AM
If you are going to do module development, use Visual Studio. Do NOT however launch it from WebMatrix. Download the source code version (as explained in the release notes).