Topics: Customizing Orchard, Writing modules, Writing themes
Aug 4, 2013 at 4:59 PM
Are there any visual or video tutorials on Orchard CMS that take a HTML/CSS layout into Orchard? Orchard websites like or is what I am interest in doing. I have read the docs too, but seeing it done once or twice would help me to grasp the concept better.
Aug 4, 2013 at 9:19 PM
Understanding theming in Orchard is key here. Check out the post below and the blank theme that Richard created (you can download from the gallery). Once you have the basic concepts for theming down you can either extend an existing theme or start one from scratch. I find the default ThemeMachine to be a bit overwhelming for a newcomer, but it does demonstrate all the built in capabilities of Orchard theming.
Aug 5, 2013 at 1:55 AM
Edited Aug 5, 2013 at 3:12 AM
There should be more PSD to HTML To Orchard CMS videos.
Aug 5, 2013 at 2:16 AM
You should make one.
Aug 5, 2013 at 3:25 AM
Well I am new to Orchard Mr. LeRoy, and have to learn it. It would be good to have a video to reflect on, when questions go outside of the documentation.

Wow your the Top Level Orchard Coordinator and that is the best help you can give a newbie? I feel deluded for even coming here for a question.
Aug 5, 2013 at 4:35 AM
Edited Aug 5, 2013 at 4:36 AM
We all agree that it would be good to have such videos, but unfortunately we don't have that one yet (as far as I know).
Bertrand's suggestion is actually quite good: while you teach others, you teach yourself. It may take a little longer to learn the basics without seeing it first, but we're here to help if you have any questions. As a tip: look at existing themes to see how things are done. You'll find stuff in there that you probably have no idea what it's for, but that's where this forum kicks in.
Aug 5, 2013 at 7:43 AM
Everything in Orchard is contributed by its users. That includes documentation and tutorials. And as Sipke says, it's a great way to learn to try to write or shoot a tutorial. That's what most people who write blogs or produce video do: they research the subject, they are not necessarily experts before they begin... It's easy to say what we should have, but it's better to try to contribute it. Don't assume anything sinister behind a simple suggestion and resort to sarcasm.
Aug 5, 2013 at 11:26 AM
mercer9258 - I was in your same shoes. What I did was watch the Pluralsight fundamentals Orchard course, specifically the parts about creating a custom theme. I had a PSD someone designed and used to generate the sliced HTML/CSS/JS for my design. I then used that to create the custom theme. With my minimal experience it only took roughly 2 days to have a fully branded site that looks nothing like other Orchard sites ( The key here is the Pluralsight course. Free? No... but you can get a free trial usually from them, and if not, a one month sub only costs $29.
Aug 5, 2013 at 4:07 PM
Edited Aug 5, 2013 at 4:09 PM
I agree with Andrew, in my case PluralSight Helped me a lot.
You should also see these 4 part blog post:

It shows you how to convert a Html Website Template into a orchard theme.
Aug 5, 2013 at 4:37 PM
Edited Aug 5, 2013 at 4:39 PM
I´m a developer not a designer, I don´t know how to work with Photoshop, never had the time to, and also don´t want to.
But in my team i have Designers that dont´t know about webdevelopment, they kwow about design, logo creation, usability ....
Here´s how we work:
  • The designers develop the template in PSD, on top of 940 grid template layer (very important, because it allows you to know all the proportions of the elements you need to code);
  • I evaluate the PSD (actualy they give me a PDF), and then i ask them to give me separate jpgs or pngs of the graphic elements that are not made with css only, like logos, icons and some backgrounds if needed (i always try to avoid the jpgs or png background prefer using css and colors);
  • Then i start coding the Orchard theme directly using Orchard conventions, i also use bootstrap as a prefered css framework (but there are others), in this step probably it´s easyer for you to first create an html template from the PSD, an then after convert it to orchard, when you get some experience you can do it directly in orchard.
Hope this helps, probably this is not the best workflow, but it´s the one i have in my team and it just works.
Aug 5, 2013 at 5:27 PM
I am good with HTML and CSS and can layout most things from Photoshop in the 960 Grid System. The PluralSight course was good. I previously took it and that got me interested in Orchard, I just wanted a little more infomation. I will look into your advice and yours too andrewconnell.
Aug 6, 2013 at 6:47 AM
I like Nettutsplus, there are many courses for psd to html and design html. just 15$/m.