Adding .dll file in theme package

Topics: Writing modules, Writing themes
Jul 17, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Question regarding packaging a theme and including a .dll file. If I package a theme that contains a reference to a new .dll file, it will appear under the theme folder in the bin folder. However, if I modify the package file after creating it, and create a bin folder under Contents and add the .dll file, Orchard will add that .dll file to the main bin directory under Orchard.

Is there a difference in the resulting functionality between these two? Will the .dll file be used the same way if it's under the Orchard bin folder as under the Theme's bin folder?

Thanks =)
Jul 17, 2013 at 10:19 PM
It's kind of weird/wrong for a theme to have a binary dependency. It sounds like a smell that you could move some stuff into a module. But anyway, it's generally better to put such dependencies in a folder that is not "bin": bin is the target for compilation, not the source for dependencies. I usually add a "lib" folder for that purpose, and then everything compiles and deploys fine.
Jul 17, 2013 at 10:55 PM
I'll give that a shot. is a bit weird. I'm playing around with LESS again and was trying to find a way to include it in the Theme so the user doesn't have to install the dotless module in addition to the theme.

I'm having other issues anyways though...DotLess is still stuck at v1.3.1 and Bootstrap is using v1.4, so the LESS files won't even compile.

Thanks for the pointers!