Reporting on Content Record without a Content Part?

Topics: General, Writing modules
Jul 15, 2013 at 10:08 PM
I'm writing a credit card payment processing module that logs requests (minus PCI related "cardholder data" of course) sent to the gateway in one PartRecord called PaymentRequestRecord and then logs the response in another PartRecord called PaymentResponseRecord. Both of these part records do not have a related ContentPart since I was thinking it would just be for diagnosing issues. The PaymentResponseRecord actually has a foreign key relation ship to the PaymentRequestRecord so I can easily tie them together if needed.

Then I was thinking it would be a good idea to expose this data into some kind of reconciliation report that the user could configure and run as needed.

What would be the best way to accomplish this being that the records have no ContentPart defined? I was hoping to use a Query and send the Query results into some sort of widget maybe, but it seems that a Query can only pull from a content part?

1) Could I feed the data from both records into a single combined PaymentInfo ContentPart some how? I looked into trying to do this but I didn't get very far.
2) Just go ahead and create content parts for both the request and response records and then join them somehow in the results?
3) Or ?

I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
Jul 15, 2013 at 11:37 PM
If they don't have a related part, they are not part records, they are just records, which is fine. You should read the doc topic about relationships.