Any forum module for Orchard 1.6.1 ?

Topics: General
Jul 15, 2013 at 8:22 PM
any forums module for orchard that works with the latest Orchard 1.6.1 ?
Coordinator
Jul 15, 2013 at 8:59 PM
https://orchardforums.codeplex.com/SourceControl/latest with a demo here: http://orchardprojectforum.azurewebsites.net/ (that seems to be down for the moment however)
Jul 15, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Any other choices ? It doesn't look like generic forum..I am looking for a user-friendly forum module ?
Coordinator
Jul 15, 2013 at 9:06 PM
How does it not look like a generic forum? What exactly are you looking for?
Jul 15, 2013 at 9:15 PM
I am looking for something like Yet Another Forums, forum with HTML Editor.

These days a lot of forums offers features like voting options for posts to help readers to get to the answer and options like mark post as answer.

That's something that I am looking for...I was also looking into integrating orchard with yet another forum but that is quite complex and also now orchard is I think MVC based and YAF is webforms.
Jul 15, 2013 at 9:54 PM
Also - there is no instructions for installing the project forum, plus it is very old project has not been updated since a long time.
Developer
Jul 15, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Are you talking about this one: https://orchardforums.codeplex.com/SourceControl/list/changesets?
Seems to me it is being actively worked on.

As for the missing features you mention, they should probably be done using other modules. E.g. there's a Voting module already that contains a part that could be attached to the Post type. I'm working on a project that needs voting and marking a thread as answered. All that is easily done using a third party module (in this case one I'm writing myself).

The nice thing about Orchard Forums is that it's generic, bare bones, but extremely customizable. You can create multiple types of forums which have different functionality.

As for the HTML editor: perhaps ask the author if he intends to fix that. Forums uses flavors, and Orchard has a flavor called "html". In the backend, this renders as an HTML editor. On the front-end, I haven't used it (I prefer markdown, and using the toolbar, my users don't need an HTML editor).
Coordinator
Jul 16, 2013 at 12:34 AM
If you're looking for something like YAF, why don't you use YAF?
Jul 16, 2013 at 11:38 AM
sfmskywalker wrote:
Are you talking about this one: https://orchardforums.codeplex.com/SourceControl/list/changesets?
Seems to me it is being actively worked on.

As for the missing features you mention, they should probably be done using other modules. E.g. there's a Voting module already that contains a part that could be attached to the Post type. I'm working on a project that needs voting and marking a thread as answered. All that is easily done using a third party module (in this case one I'm writing myself).

The nice thing about Orchard Forums is that it's generic, bare bones, but extremely customizable. You can create multiple types of forums which have different functionality.

As for the HTML editor: perhaps ask the author if he intends to fix that. Forums uses flavors, and Orchard has a flavor called "html". In the backend, this renders as an HTML editor. On the front-end, I haven't used it (I prefer markdown, and using the toolbar, my users don't need an HTML editor).
How to install and setup the forum ?
Developer
Jul 16, 2013 at 5:07 PM
Install the module and create a new Forum.
Jul 16, 2013 at 5:45 PM
This forum is not available in orchard gallery of modules so when I manually download it from codeplex, how am I installing ?

In modules, I do see option to upload / browse any module but within the package what file I should point to inside the module folder ?
Developer
Jul 16, 2013 at 6:13 PM
Edited Jul 16, 2013 at 6:13 PM
Oh, simply download the module, create a folder called "NGM.Forum" in the "Modules" folder, and unzip the contents there. It's essentially the same as installing a nuget package: Orchard unzips the package and copies over the contents to the Modules folder.
Developer
Jul 19, 2013 at 9:29 AM
Hi there, I am the author of said module.

Building something like UserVoice or Stack overflow is actually quite trivial using this module as a base. So easy I built UserVoice over my cup of morning Joe (coffee)

I have done a blog post on it and will post when I'm back from holiday.