Vandelay Remote RSS - How do I get other items in the feed (like the descriptions) to show up?

Topics: Customizing Orchard
Jul 8, 2013 at 7:00 PM
In DotNetNuke, you can add remote RSS feeds and have the option of showing the descriptions, pictures, etc that are provided in the feed.
I've loaded a widget with the Vandelay Remote RSS feed and it displays only the title and link and that works well, but I'd like to show all the other data in the RSS feed as well.
How do I go about doing this?
Jul 8, 2013 at 8:00 PM
Override the RemoteRss.cshtml template in your theme. Model.Feed is an XElement, which means that you can extract any information that is available in the remote feed using a standard .NET API over XML.
Jul 8, 2013 at 9:36 PM
Ok, thanks.
I can't find the file RemoteRss.cshtml file in the theme I'm using (but the remote RSS is displaying). I'm running version 1.6.1 - does it have a different filename or is it in the database?
Jul 8, 2013 at 9:40 PM
I found it - I had to use AgentRansack to find the file. What I really hate about Visual Studio 2012 is that it only seems to search in "included" projects.
Jul 8, 2013 at 9:49 PM
Ok, there's 2 files with the same name, both different contents.

I presume the one I need is located on this path:
@using System.Xml.Linq
    var feed = Model.Feed as XElement;
@foreach(var item in feed
    .Take((int)Model.ItemsToDisplay)) {
    <li><a href="@item.Element("link").Value">@item.Element("title").Value</a></li>
Is there a way to do this that is not global?
Jul 8, 2013 at 10:22 PM
Yes, when you search from a solution, it only searches for projects in the solution, and within that, the files that are declared in the projects. It's a good habit to maintain your own solution with all the projects for the modules you use.

Of course there is a way to do that that is not global: as I said, override it in your theme. In other words, copy the file from the module into /views/Parts.RemoteRss.cshtml under your theme. Then modify that copy.
Jul 8, 2013 at 11:41 PM
I'll give that a try once I get the latest version installed and working. Thanks!
Jul 11, 2013 at 2:27 AM
Downloaded and installed latest version (1.7) and enabled Vandelay Remote RSS, unfortunately, it no longer shows up as a widget as it did in version 1.6.1
I thought I had to create a new content type, but it crashes on ShapeAttributeBindingStrategy.cs (I'll have to reproduce that bug later - I just want to get SOMETHING to work!)
Jul 11, 2013 at 4:39 AM
If you give me a repro, I'll fix it.