Difference between ftp and web deployment

Topics: General, Installing Orchard
Jun 25, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Hello, I need to figure out why when transferring orchard in web deploy with web matrix, it works, but if I use the ftp transfer with web matrix does not work .. Why did this thing happen?
Coordinator
Jun 26, 2013 at 2:53 AM
Maybe your ftp transfer was incomplete or had failures. Impossible to know with that little information. But it does work usually: I've done it countless times.
Jun 27, 2013 at 11:22 AM
I noticed that if I was using the web deploy everything worked, using the ftp transfer the first error I received was on the root of the web config .. I thought it depended on the type of protocol used to synchronize ..

Thanks for the reply
Developer
Jun 27, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Did the errors happen during the transfer, or the transfer succeeded but you could not launch the site?
Jun 27, 2013 at 3:09 PM
That's right, a successful transfer ftp.
Recalling the site to me the errors of the web config, I also associated write permissions on the folder app_data .. Using the web deploy no errors everything ok
Coordinator
Jul 1, 2013 at 1:41 AM
Ah, yes, Web Deploy can take care of permissions for you, ftp can't, as it's just doing file transfers. So yes, you need a properly configured site on the other side, in particular permissions need to be set-up properly on app_data, media, modules and themes.
Jul 1, 2013 at 4:27 PM
Thanks for the support .. all very clear ..