Can an end user in the admin create a searchable database

Topics: Administration
Jun 17, 2013 at 4:13 PM
Without programming assistance, can an end user use the admin to add items (like items in a catalog - pics, description) and then have these items be searchable?
Or does that require having a programmer first create a content type, and then a content part relating it to a SQL database?
Any info you can provide would be very helpful. Thanks!
Jun 17, 2013 at 4:20 PM
You certainly can:
  1. Create a new Content Type and mark it to be Indexable.
  2. Add fields (e.g. TextField and MediaLibraryField if you're using 1.7 in a week or 2).
No programmers needed. :)
Jun 25, 2013 at 6:07 PM
Ah... I see. Actually I did not have indexable as an option initially. I had to add the modules Search, Indexing, Lucene to see it. Thanks!! I have another question. If I have a bunch of content items (like bikes in a product catalog) and I want to set up a page that shows only these, is there some conditional coding I can use on the page to display pictures and descriptions from the catalog (content type catalog) - using the tag or something? I looked in the documentation and didn't see exactly what I needed. And if I want the end user to customize the page by entering a tag value, would I need a custom form for that? Thanks in advance!