[PowerPoint and Support] Orchard Harvest 2012

Topics: General
May 24, 2013 at 8:44 AM
Edited May 24, 2013 at 1:21 PM

I follow the video from youtube (1-2 and the others will see)
I found many material on https://orchardtrainingdemo.codeplex.com/SourceControl/
Do you know where I can find the support PowerPoint and pdf about this conference.

To be more specific, I would like to follow the http://english.orchardproject.hu/Training/Topics/ModuleDevelopmentAndApis/
Where can I find the support about this point?

I notice In the video Orchard Harvers 2012 : Module Development by Spike Shoorstra and https://github.com/sfmskywalker/OrchardDevToolbelt it's not exactly the same.
Example : 34:54, the presenter shows OrchardFeature("Harvest.OrchardDevToolbelt.Weather")] and in the source code, it's not available. So maybe it's done to investigate :) or maybe it's because the source code is not the last version.
Can you clarify the point.
namespace Harvest.OrchardDevToolbelt.Filters {
    public class WeatherFilter : FilterProvider, IResultFilter {
        private readonly IOrchardServices _services;
        public WeatherFilter(IOrchardServices services) {
            _services = services;

public void OnResultExecuting(ResultExecutingContext filterContext) {

public void OnResultExecuted(ResultExecutedContext filterContext) {
Thank you.
May 24, 2013 at 11:40 PM
I believe the ModuleDevelopmentAndApis are currently provided as-is, with elaborate inline comments to help understand the various APIs and concepts.
The PowerPoint file used for the Must Know Orchard APIs session has just been added to the github repository for your convenience.

As for the source code, it is outdated on purpose: to serve as an exercise left for the developer. ;)
But yeah, the code is a little bit outdated due to last-minute changes and fixes pre-Harvest.
May 27, 2013 at 6:02 AM

Very nice, I get the document.
Ok for the source code, I needs to learn a lot and my target is to migrate a website to Orchard, so very good.
May 29, 2013 at 6:08 AM
Edited May 29, 2013 at 6:34 AM
About the unit test, is-it necessary when you developp a module to planify time to realize it? after? before? during the build of the module?
How to be sure a module isn't break when a orchard version is updated or when many developper work on the same module and one checkin modifications, and break somes behavior.

In the module Harvest.OrchardDevToolbelt

There is the instruction, is-it necessary?
public Migrations(IRoleService roleService) {
            _roleService = roleService;
May 29, 2013 at 10:29 AM
As for the "Where can I find the support about this point?" question: if you'd find some personal training or peer programming sessions beneficial for you, we at Lombiq are doing exactly this :-) (and BTW we've created the Training Demo module).
May 29, 2013 at 11:15 AM
So I understand if I would like to have any support I need to subscribe to Lombiq to have a kind of support.
Am I right? Do you have any price about the session?
I don't find any information about it.
May 29, 2013 at 3:08 PM
We offer commercial-grade support and personalized Orchard trainings.

It's more than "any support": we support our open source projects like open source projects are supported, from our free time, so you already have a certain level of support. We do what we can (and I personally reply to inquiries related to my projects usually quickly and fix issues routinely), but commercial-grade support means we're not limited by our free time if you pay us as we work just for you :-).

Price depends on the requirements, so if you're interested please drop us a line so we can get in touch with you.

Regarding your other questions:
  • I'm not sure what you mean regarding unit testing but I usually add unit tests when the project is reasonably stable. That's not like TDD: I tend to change interfaces a lot in the beginning of the development so adding unit tests early and constantly fixing them would be a pain. If you take time for preliminary planning than you can add tests even in the beginning.
  • How to make sure that a module doesn't break: that's tricky :-). Breaking changes in Orchard are usually documented and even announced, also most of the breaking changes are obvious at compile time (as they are interface changes) so you'll see them immediately.
May 31, 2013 at 6:39 AM
Thank for your proposal.
I continu to work alone on my side.
The next year, I will teach students about Orchard. So I keep your contact, my target is to have a clear view about Orchard and to have really migrate an existing website to Orchard, so it's possible I contact your society to have futher details and planifiy a quick training to clarify many points.

About th unit tests : I see a folder test and this project Orchard.Tests.Modules. So you right it's more like unit test.

"How to make sure that a module doesn't break: that's tricky :-). Breaking changes in Orchard are usually documented and even announced, also most of the breaking changes are obvious at compile time (as they are interface changes) so you'll see them immediately."
Good point!
May 31, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Oh cool, where will you teach exactly? Don't hesitate to get in touch with us if you need help.
May 31, 2013 at 7:45 PM
I can't give your more details for the moment, the contract is in current negotiation.
I keep your contact and if I need I won't hesitate to contact your society.