Shared content or content library

Topics: Administration, Customizing Orchard
May 8, 2013 at 2:55 PM
Hello,
I've used Sitefinity and they had a really handy feature called 'shared content'. What this allowed was to select a block of text (from a drop down) and have that displayed for the product.

How I'd think this could exist in Orchard is much like a Media Library or a Image Gallery. A title field with a body of text for entry of the 'shared content', then add a 'part' to the custom-content-type, and then when you create a new record for the custom-content-type rather then a text box, there would be a drop box or selector of sorts (because some people have hundreds of shared content so a drop box or selector with a find field to jQuery narrow that list down). Select the desired shared content and then it auto displays.

Anything like this available?
May 8, 2013 at 5:26 PM
I'm not following. This text would display in a summary of an item?
May 8, 2013 at 6:00 PM
Edited May 8, 2013 at 6:55 PM
Sorta ya, but it'd be generic. So if I add a 'shared content' field to my custom type, I can select from a list sorted by categories. Because in a large scaled shared content environment, you may have 'lenses', 'caps', 'film' as categories, then about 10-100 blocks of text or snippets in each category.
This makes it nice because when entering in data to a custom-data-type, you can just select a snippet from the library, on 10 different custom-content-types, and only have to update that one to cascade to all products.
May 8, 2013 at 11:51 PM
Ok, I think I got this figured out with minimal modifications.

1) add a content picker to my custom content type

2) create a alternate shape for my content picker related to my custom type

3) edit the alternate shape to render the body of the content-picker's picked content instead of displaying a link

Should work....

But I think it'd be sweet to have a setting for the content-picker to render the body instead of showing a link. This would be a nice feature. There a suggestion box? This a good idea? :)
Coordinator
May 28, 2013 at 3:07 AM
It should be easy to do that as a module. I've made a content item widget along those lines for a customer (that I can't share unfortunately) and it works very nicely.
May 28, 2013 at 2:26 PM
Thanks, as a follow up, client is happy with how I've used this. Cheers.