Need help with Navigation

Topics: Customizing Orchard
Apr 24, 2013 at 4:18 PM
Edited Apr 24, 2013 at 4:57 PM
I am creating a site with orchard 1.6, but when I click Navigation from the left column the page is basically empty. All that is there is a save and delete button but there is nothing there to add or delete to use these buttons.
Is that page supposed to be blank? Or do I need to add something somewhere else that gives the content to the Navigation page?

Apr 24, 2013 at 6:30 PM
Check your installation, this is not normal.
The normal process is to create a Menu, here you enter its name, then you add items from a panel of buttons on the right side of the Admin Menu page..
Check your log file in App_Data\logs
Apr 24, 2013 at 6:36 PM
Edited Apr 24, 2013 at 6:37 PM
I think I remember seeing that stuff in the Navigation page before. Is it possible to delete that? Or something else mess it up?

Here are a few of the things that are in the log files.

2013-04-24 09:25:06,807 [15] Orchard.ContentManagement.DefaultContentManager - NullReferenceException thrown from IContentHandler by Orchard.Core.Navigation.Handlers.MenuHandler
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Orchard.Core.Navigation.Handlers.MenuHandler.GetItemMetadata(GetContentItemMetadataContext context) in c:\Users\sebros\My Projects\Orchard\src\Orchard.Web\Core\Navigation\Handlers\MenuHandler.cs:line 24
at Orchard.ContentManagement.Handlers.ContentHandler.Orchard.ContentManagement.Handlers.IContentHandler.GetContentItemMetadata(GetContentItemMetadataContext context) in c:\Users\sebros\My Projects\Orchard\src\Orchard\ContentManagement\Handlers\ContentHandler.cs:line 333
at Orchard.ContentManagement.DefaultContentManager.<>c__DisplayClass60.<GetItemMetadata>b__5f(IContentHandler handler) in c:\Users\sebros\My Projects\Orchard\src\Orchard\ContentManagement\DefaultContentManager.cs:line 511
at Orchard.InvokeExtensions.Invoke[TEvents](IEnumerable1 events, Action1 dispatch, ILogger logger) in c:\Users\sebros\My Projects\Orchard\src\Orchard\InvokeExtensions.cs:line 17
2013-04-24 09:25:09,291 [15] Orchard.ContentManagement.DefaultContentManager - NullReferenceException thrown from IContentHandler by Orchard.Core.Navigation.Handlers.MenuHandler
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Orchard.Core.Navigation.Handlers.MenuHandler.GetItemMetadata(GetContentItemMetadataContext context) in c:\Users\sebros\My Projects\Orchard\src\Orchard.Web\Core\Navigation\Handlers\MenuHandler.cs:line 24
at Orchard.ContentManagement.Handlers.ContentHandler.Orchard.ContentManagement.Handlers.IContentHandler.GetContentItemMetadata(GetContentItemMetadataContext context) in c:\Users\sebros\My Projects\Orchard\src\Orchard\ContentManagement\Handlers\ContentHandler.cs:line 333
at Orchard.ContentManagement.DefaultContentManager.<>c__DisplayClass60.<GetItemMetadata>b__5f(IContentHandler handler) in c:\Users\sebros\My Projects\Orchard\src\Orchard\ContentManagement\DefaultContentManager.cs:line 511
at Orchard.InvokeExtensions.Invoke[TEvents](IEnumerable1 events, Action1 dispatch, ILogger logger) in c:\Users\sebros\My Projects\Orchard\src\Orchard\InvokeExtensions.cs:line 17
2013-04-24 09:36:56,514 [14] Orchard.ContentManagement.DefaultContentManager - NullReferenceException thrown from IContentHandler by Orchard.Core.Navigation.Handlers.MenuHandler
2013-04-24 09:54:14,612 [11] Orchard.ContentManagement.DefaultContentManager - NullReferenceException thrown from IContentHandler by Orchard.Core.Navigation.Handlers.MenuHandler
2013-04-24 09:58:11,315 [20] Orchard.ContentManagement.DefaultContentManager - NullReferenceException thrown from IContentHandler by Orchard.Core.Navigation.Handlers.MenuHandler
Developer
Apr 25, 2013 at 10:27 PM
I'm afraid your DB data integration went out the window. Best way to resolve this is attaching a debugger and navigate to the page you mentioned and inspect the state of null objects (pun intended) and surroundings. Make sure the debugger is configured to break when Common Language Runtime Exceptions are Thrown.