Slow performance SQL Azure

Topics: Core
Apr 24, 2013 at 9:25 AM

We've struggled a lot with performance for our Orchard Site. When looking at the response-time running in dev-mode on localhost, it is ~150ms which is acceptable. But after deploying to Azure Cloud Service the same page get ~1100ms in response time.

It seems like the connection to the Azure SQL-server is slow...

We're using sysCache, KeepAlive and are trying to use Orchard cache as much as we can. The CloudSerivce consists of 2 Medium VM's

Anyone with the same experience and a way to speed up the site?
Apr 24, 2013 at 5:33 PM
Can you confirm the Sql Azure instance is located in the same region as the VMs ?
Apr 24, 2013 at 5:49 PM
Edited Apr 24, 2013 at 5:53 PM
I had the same problem and though it was an NHibernate driver problem which was experiencing retry return code from SQL Azure.
NHibernate do not handle the special codes sent from SQL Azure.
I tried to implement a dedicated SQL Azure NHibernate driver for Orchard based on a code from MS Pattern & Practice Team (???), this code was handling the retry code. But I had to dive to much in Orchard internal and it was a pain to maintain so I gave up. And no real improvment in perf, only kind of security.

I get back to classic SQL and even SQLCE on AWS.

Cache is usually the solution on Azure AND Orchard, seems that orchard is spending more than 80% of its SQL time reading.