Any way to store repeatable information out of the box?

Topics: General
Apr 11, 2013 at 1:19 PM
I am finding myself creating copies of a widget (in one case 6 copies) in order to change one or two items within depending on the site's need at a particular time.

Say I have a widget that describes something, but that depending on the season I switch out the widget for spring, summer, fall and winter. To make it real simple, lets just say that there is one term "Season" in the entire widget that changes. So that's 4 widgets for each season, with the only change being the actual season within the widget.

Is there any way to avoid having 4 widgets in this scenario and changing them at the right time of year to fit the season? I thought something like taxonomies or tokens. I thought tokens would be best in this regard, but the only stuff I find is with module creation - which in this scenario is overkill. I'm not that familiar with taxonomies, but I got the impression that it's more for content filtering than inserting values in a particular widget.

Upon further reflection, I get that I would still have to change something somewhere at some time. But it seemed to me that having 100 widgets for various things that change was not good - whereas having 20 or so widgets with some parameter inside that I can change from somewhere, well that just seemed to make more sense. Could be that I am completely off here.
Coordinator
Apr 12, 2013 at 1:58 AM
I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do, but it seems like you need to build a simple custom part.