Webmatrix 3 TFS

Topics: Administration, Core, Customizing Orchard, General, Localization, Troubleshooting
Apr 10, 2013 at 5:29 PM
I am wondering how I would use the WebMatrix tool while utilizing the TFS feature to debug locally? What I want to do is make an update and view my update in the browser without having to publish.

my site is located on Windows Azure hosting and when I click, "Run" the site gives me a 404 error.

Any suggestions as to why this is occurring?

When I navigate to the actual site, SiteName.azurewebsites.net/ I get no issues; however, my local updates do not reflect until i click "Publish".

Thanking you in advance!
Developer
Apr 10, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Make sure your connection string in Settings.txt on the production server is correct.

To debug locally, you can download the site via WebMatrix and launch the site locally. Changes made to views can be tested locally like that.
When you're ready, push the changes.
Apr 10, 2013 at 8:00 PM
I do have the site downloaded locally. Question: would the connection string be wrong if I was able to download the site?

Thanks for your response!
Developer
Apr 10, 2013 at 8:07 PM
That would depend on your connection string. If you're using SQL CE, it should be fine (test it though).
If you're using SQL Express or SQL Azure, then the connection string required for the production server is most likely different then what you would need locally.
The connection string has nothing to do with the ability to download the site.
Apr 10, 2013 at 8:14 PM
Okay, I am using "windows azure sql server". I provided the connection string that was within the dashboard of windows azure.

Any suggestions as to the connection string I need to be using? I would imagine a test would be to attempt to connect to the site from sql management suite and use the connection settings for that?

This is what I suspected was the issue, a poor connection which ultimately created a 404 because the content lives within the database. I just wanted to see others opinions on this.

Your the best for quick responses btw.
Developer
Apr 10, 2013 at 8:45 PM
Ok, so to be sure about what's causing the site to fail is by downloading the log files from App_Data/Logs (using Remote View of WebMatrix for example).

And yes, a good way to make sure the connection string works is by using it to connect from SQL Server Management Studio (If I recall correctly, you will have to add your public IP address to the whitelist).

You're welcome.
Apr 10, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Last question ...

Is it right that if I get the proper connection string then before I publish to the site I will need to change it to the connection string that was not properly working for local testing? If thats the case, then the user's would simply not check in the locally working settings.txt file and a select member would then update his / hers before uploading / publishing to the server.

is that accurate. Sorry, I am new to the TFS for web matrix 3
Apr 10, 2013 at 9:19 PM
Answered my question.

Thanks sfmskywalker. You helped me out a lot here.

it was the connection string.
Developer
Apr 10, 2013 at 9:59 PM
You're welcome, glad you figured it out.