mp4 video in Orchard CMS

Topics: Customizing Orchard, Troubleshooting
Apr 3, 2013 at 2:55 PM
Hello. I recently added some .mp4 videos to my Media folder in my Orchard site. When I go to the URL for the uploaded videos, I get a 404 Not Found error. What could be the cause of this? If I upload jpegs to the same folder, I can find them via the URL. Also, what module do you recommend for embedding .mp4 videos (Media Garden is not recommended for productions), and are there step by step instructions? I have searched and searched, but am having a really hard time finding clear information on this.

Thank you!
Apr 3, 2013 at 5:02 PM
It can be that you are missing a mimetype mapping in your web.config, or you are missing a web.config for static files folders.
Apr 3, 2013 at 5:44 PM
O.K. Thank you. I tried putting the following in the web.config after <system.webServer>:

<mimeMap fileExtension=".mp4" mimeType="video/mp4" />
      <mimeMap fileExtension=".m4v" mimeType="video/m4v" />     
When I refresh my site, the applied theme disappears, and when I click the link to the video I am now getting an HTTP 500 error. Have I missed something? You mentioned a web.config for static files. Do I need to add another web.config file somewhere? Could you explain a little further perhaps?

Many thanks.
Apr 3, 2013 at 10:17 PM
If it's not the mime type mappings, then try to copy the web.config file from the /Media folder to the folder containing your videos. This web.config is there to allow static files to be served.
Apr 4, 2013 at 3:49 PM
Unfortunately I am still getting the HTTP 500 error...
Apr 5, 2013 at 6:35 AM
Please give the full stack trace: 500 is not enough information.
Apr 8, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Thanks, gentlemen. For some reason, when I removed <mimeMap fileExtension=".m4v" mimeType="video/m4v" /> from the web.config the issue was resolved.