Silly n00b question about SQL Server connection strings

Topics: Administration
Mar 31, 2013 at 4:54 PM
Edited Mar 31, 2013 at 4:54 PM
I'm new to Orchard and CMS's in general, and so of course I'm encountering every bump in the Orchard installation road. It's my own fault: because I didn't know exactly what the web install procedure would do, I chose the .zip install process, so I'm fighting directory permission problems and the LifetimeScope crash you get when IIS features are missing on the server.

(BTW, all the written tutorials and demo videos take the path of least resistance and use local installs and SQL Server Compact, then mention that you probably won't do that in the real world. If anyone contemplates making new demo videos, it'd sure be nice to see real-world example step by step.)

Anyway, being an optimist, I assume I'll get Orchard up and running any moment now and the Default recipe will cook and work. What I'm wondering is, what happens to the connection string I type into the Orchard setup screen? Where does it go, and what mechanisms are in place to keep users from viewing it? With a very important password stored there in plain text, I want to be sure nobody but system administrators can ever see it.
Coordinator
Mar 31, 2013 at 9:19 PM
You just need the user under which the IIS process runs to have write access to App_Data, Media, Themes and Modules.

The connection string goes into the settings.txt file that is under App_Data/Sites/Default. App_Data is a special folder that IIS never serves. This being said, you should still avoid putting passwords in there, and instead use a password-free connection string (typically with Integrated Security=true instead of credentials).
Mar 31, 2013 at 9:24 PM
Thank you, Bertrand.

Hey, I've been watching your videos all day. The one on setting up an e-commerce site was fabulous! Thank you for donating such excellent tutorials!

BertrandLeRoy wrote:

You just need the user under which the IIS process runs to have write
access to App_Data, Media, Themes and Modules.

The connection string goes into the settings.txt file that is under
App_Data/Sites/Default. App_Data is a special folder that IIS never
serves. This being said, you should still avoid putting passwords in
there, and instead use a password-free connection string (typically
with Integrated Security=true instead of credentials).

Read the full discussion online
<http://orchard.codeplex.com/discussions/438587#post1023524>.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email
([email removed]
<mailto:[email removed]?subject=[orchard:438587]>)

To start a new discussion for this project, email
[email removed] <mailto:[email removed]>

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion
on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe
<https://orchard.codeplex.com/discussions/438587/unsubscribe/> on
CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any
posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com
Coordinator
Mar 31, 2013 at 9:25 PM