Working on deployment solution for ASP.NET apps - need your advice

Topics: General, Installing Orchard
Feb 20, 2013 at 5:35 PM
Hi guys,

I'm working on Appveyor - deployment automation solution for ASP.NET apps. It is very cool for deploying CMS websites as it has a built-in support for migrating SQL databases, especially big ones. It can deploy to your own servers, Azure or AWS.

We have tested the solution on deploying, migrating and backing up DotNetNuke, Kentico and Umbraco websites. I even created a complete guide for deploying DotNetNuke websites to demonstrate most of the features!

Orchard stores database connection string in a text configuration file and some work must be done on our side to support that scenario. Let me know what you think - we can support text/YAML configuration files to automate Orchard deployments!

I have one more question - would you be interested in integration with source control (Git, Mercurial), so Appveyor detects changes when you push, compiles the project (if required) and deploys website to your server? It could be kind of hosted continuous integration for your .NET projects!

Thank you!

Feb 21, 2013 at 1:24 AM
Sure, all that sounds cool.
Sep 26, 2013 at 8:14 AM
I thought this looked great, but it turns out it's just a web front end for MSBuild.
It appears you still have to write the build/deployment script yourself, choose your own build parameters, setup your own config and test it all......except now it's a million times harder to test it.
I think I'll stick with TeamCity and Troy Hunt's guide thanks.
Sep 26, 2013 at 5:54 PM
Oh, I created this post back in February. Since that time we did a pivot and now AppVeyor is a full-fledged Continuous Integration system with GitHub, BitBucket and Kiln support. It's kinda Travis CI for Windows!

Please don't be confused - it's absolutely possible to setup CI for VS.NET-based solution without a single line of code. AppVeyor automates building, testing and packaging. Yes, for deployment you have to setup script, but we provide extensible deployment framework and boilerplate deployment scripts. I'm just curious how is it harder to test than with TeamCity. Btw, what is that Troy Hunt's guide you mentioned?
Sep 27, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Troy Hunt's Guide
It's harder to test because I can use TeamCity to do webdeployment using VS2012 "Publish" configs.
I can test those locally and when I put them on my build server "they just work".

I didn't see any way of using them with AppVeyor, which means I'm back to writing scripts that may work locally, but may not when I deploy them to AppVeyor.....hence more difficult to test.

Don't get me wrong, I admire what you're trying to do - I'm coming from a app-coding background though, so writing and maintaining deployment scripts - whether they are boiler-plated or not - isn't something I want to do, or like doing. The fact that I can just use VS2012's "publish" feature from my build server is just great. Means almost no extra work on my part!