Orchard Accessibility (ADA/DDA)

Topics: Core, General
Jan 28, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Has anyone evaluated Orchard for its support for accessibility? Perhaps as part of the Web Accessibility Initiative?

I'm particularly interested in anything related to the ADA/DDA legislation in the US, but equivalent international studies/information would be just as valuable. 

While I realise that it is down to individual site owners to ensure that their sites comply, if the standard modules are accessible and there is plenty of accessibility support out there it will make it easier for me to recommend Orchard.

Jan 31, 2013 at 7:39 AM
Not that I know of. Are you interested in front-end, back-end or both?
Jan 31, 2013 at 10:23 AM
My initial concern was front-end, but since the aim is to supply a "white label" website to large corporate customers, the accessibility of the administration tools does factor into this.

To clarify where I'm coming from, I'm putting Orchard forward as the CMS component of a wider solution and, when questioned about accessibility, I was of the opinion that it is pretty much down to us as solution providers to ensure that we get it right. However, if Orchard has ever been reviewed or certified from an accessibility point of view it would make my job easier. :)
Feb 4, 2013 at 7:36 PM
On the front end there is isn't much more we can do. It's up to the front-end developer/theme designer to define what is generated.

On the back-end we could ensure that we comply with Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) at least. But it's not high priority as the front-end is not usually required on those standards.

But as we have already started some discussions around a new admin theme, we should keep it in mind.