Using Web Matrix to publish a site and then changing on the server

Topics: General
Jan 27, 2013 at 4:55 PM

I am new to the Orchard CMS and just used Web Matrix to publish my site to a server using FTP.  Later, I made extensive changes remotely to the site using the built in web based Orchard CMS by adding content types, modules, rules, email modules, etc.  I am using the sql compact edition so the data is part of the sub-directory tree.

Now if I want to use Web Matrix to edit css or other things discussed in the AriasAmp youtube videos, I will be editing my local version of the site, and if I publish remote I assume I will overwrite and lose the site modifications I have made.  Is this correct?

Otherwise I think I would have to delete my local copy, copy the whole site back via ftp or other methods  (many megabytes), make any changes I want locally, and then go through the whole long publish process again.  

Is this correct or am I making things more difficult than they are?

Coordinator
Jan 31, 2013 at 8:56 AM
It's generally a good idea to have a local dev version of your site and to publish that when it's ready. You can modify the production site, but it's really not recommended practice, no matter what technology you use.