New mission statement

Topics: Announcements
Coordinator
Jan 1, 2013 at 7:56 AM

I drafted a new mission statement here:

http://orchardproject.net/mission

This replaces our old marketing speech that was not just outdated, but was also saying nothing.

Let us know what you think and what suggestions you may have. The page should give a clear explanation to newcomers of what Orchard is, and provide a call to action.

Jan 1, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Edited Jan 1, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I think you should revise this part

"Orchard is built on a modern architecture that puts extensibility up-front, as its number one concern. All components in Orchard can be replaced or extended. Content is built from easily composable building blocks. Modules extend the system in a very decoupled fashion, where a commenting module for example can as easily apply to pages, blog posts, photos or products. A rich UI composition system completes the picture and ensures that you can get the exact presentation that you need for your content."

Extensibility, Components, modules, this is very common to all open source or commercial CMS (...from I buy Spy in MS culture and before on global culture)...today everybody expects this from a CMS.

What is new is the way Orchard presents the contents to admins and users, this is not simple html pages, a kind of re-engineering of the original page concept imposed by HTML and ASP, something more adapted to content), and also the way it takes care of the extensibility concept using new technologies (but this part is not totally clear and should be detailled,  efficiency in extensibility may be...)

Shouldn't we call this CMS 2.0.
Just as there is CRM 2.0 going beyond the static 360° view of its customers by the entreprise, providing users a way to inter-act with the internal, this 2.0 process being the prolific source of new ideas (the Content Type management is this kind of 2.0 concept for Orchard) 

One point of great importance is also the spirit infused by the initial team in the community, the social link: this engagement must be written in marble.

Just my small point on January 1st 2013. (Happy new year!)

Coordinator
Jan 1, 2013 at 9:23 PM

I think you're giving too much credit to other CMS: Drupal is the only one that I would compare in terms of extensibility. Can you clarify what you mean by "re-engineering of the original page concept" and "new technologies"?

As for CMS 2.0, I'm strongly against it. It sounds like marketing speech from 10 years ago, which is exactly what we're trying to get away from.

I like the social part, however. Any suggestions about wording of this?

Jan 2, 2013 at 8:56 AM

I have already realized that Orchard team is frequently looking at Drupal.

Drupal has taken the MVC way some years ago if I am right ? but there are many other CMS still not using MVC, just like dotnetnuke and they have a solid offer based on classical ajax+asp.net, with hundred of modules providing a great extensibility.

May be you should define what you mean by extensibility, I may have misunderstood your intention ?

I also would like to understand what you want to get away from, and who is 'we'.

I am not simply talking of web 2.0 but the recent 5 years extensions in the concept of CRM and entreprise: Paul Greenberg, one of the tenants of concept  is here http://the56group.typepad.com/pgreenblog/2009/03/crm-20-social-crm-do-we-have-it-yet.html

If you are not familiar with it is a very solid move, not only dedicated to business. If the 2.0 term is not Ok for you we could also use Social.
And the name is not important, it is the sharing and interaction process driving the definition of products.
Not only marketing , many successful startups and companies are applying it. (Noisette devrait :) )

From my first month with Orchard, it certainly needs a solid marketing effort....

I have always see re-engineering as one of the software option: either you evolved an existing base code, either you rewrite to find shorter and better ideas and implementations. 

Wording is not my best quality, especially in English as you may have understood :), I could do a try in Latin (for the marble it is better)

Coordinator
Jan 2, 2013 at 11:53 PM

"we" is the steering committee, as it represents the larger community.

I've added a paragraph that clarifies the mission, and tries to introduce that social dimension you were talking about.