Dec 19, 2012 at 1:59 PM
Edited Dec 19, 2012 at 2:03 PM
I'm already leveraging the kind help and assiastance from other users of this support forum and have decided to try to optimize my use of Orchard in getting my website running.
I have an ASP.NET site already but it is too fiddly, was never really designed and relies on C# for stuff that really might have been done without code.
I'm a very experienced .Net developer and the site was put together like five years ago.
Now here are my main site requirements - I want to use Orchard as much as possible but relaize that some functions might best be handled by leveraging third party services.
- User registration – out of the box Orchard support.
- Site editability – out of the box Orchard support.
- Site email capabilities – use relevant Modules.
- Blogs – out of the box Orchard support.
- Download files from server (e.g. code beta .zip files) – use Media Picker
- Join mailing list feature –
- Leave mailing list feature –
- Forum support – use beta Forums module.
- Shopping cart – for purchasing downloadable files(e.g. software)
- Purchase - users get email with URL for purchased digital asset.
- User can return and retrive this but must login to site.
What I am seeking to do is prove that I can support each of these either wholly with Orchard or partially with Orchard and partly by leveraging a third party.
For example the card based purchasing can be handled by a third party service and (I am told) can be done so that it appears to be part of the site - users get a seamless experience.
Once I can prove that these goals are readily acheivable and the core site can indeed be implemenetd by Orchard then I can begin to create and refine the content and so on.
So at this stage this is a feasibility study I suppose.
I'd like to solicit view from other Orchard users/developer on the best way - in their view - to implement each of these requirements, if that means use this or that module then let me know or if you feel a third party service is ideal for this or that please
let me know more about that (for example I could use a third party service for seamless forums too).
The business here is a small software components firm that like many such firms provides access to beta code, trial code and fully licensed code. Forums for tech discussions and so on.
Overall nothing major - but I'm building this somewhat as a web novice and want to do it well.
Thanks in advance.