New installation keeps giving HTTP 500 - Internal Server Error

Topics: Installing Orchard
Dec 4, 2012 at 11:39 AM

I am trying to get Orchard CMS running under IIS7.5, on Windows 7 Ultimate but I keep getting an HTTP 500 response. I have built and run the source code from within VS2012, but even with exceptions set to break when thrown, VS doesn't break, and I still get a very unhelpful and opaque HTTP 500 response.

I created a new web site called Orchard, pointing to the source folder of the web app, i.e.C:\Development\Orchard.Source.1.6\src\Orchard.Web, and bound it to host name orchard.local, which I added to my hosts file under I have read that I need to set file system permissions for IIS_IUSRS when running the web site under IIS; I don't know if I still do for debugging under VS. I would have though VS would take care of that. Then, for some reason I don't have that group, I only have an IIS_WPG group, which is supposed to be for IIS6.

How can I diagnose what is causing this Internal Server Error if I can't even get VS to break on the exception?

Dec 5, 2012 at 6:02 AM

Can you show that unhelpful and opaque 500?

Dec 5, 2012 at 6:19 AM

It turns out this was because I had only installed IIS after .NET, so .NET 4 etc. wasn't registered. I fixed the problem by running:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\aspnet_regiis -i

Dec 5, 2012 at 6:20 AM

Thanks Bertrand, I have solved the problem, as in my reply above.