Conversion 1.5.1 to 1.6 fails, Navigation

Topics: Administration, General, Troubleshooting
Nov 29, 2012 at 5:11 PM

I applied the steps as described in the Orchard doc
"Upgrading a site to a new version of Orchard", like:
copy folder: APP_DATA, Media
copy all Modules which are NOT already in 1.6
PS: I have done that without any issues from 1.4.1 to 1.5.1!

Now I wanted to go from 1.5.1 to 1.6 and observe the following:
- the Navigation menu shows only part of the needed Tabs (2 tabs in the beginning, 3 tabs at the end are missing)
- e.g. the home page isn't shown in the Menu, however, the home page itself is shown correctly at start up.!
- clicking the shown tabs work fine
- in dashboard > navigation: it shows all menu items correctly
  adding a new "Content Menu Item" updates the dashboard and the user-menu correctly!
PS: does this have a relation to Orchard discussion 402573 and issue 19246?!

? are there any special considerations when moving from 1.5.1 to 1.6 ?
... what have I done wrong (missed) on the migration path ...!

thanks for your time and hints

Nov 29, 2012 at 5:40 PM

What navigation tabs are you talking about? Are you using a non-core navigation module? If so, which one, and do you know it to be compatible with 1.6?

Nov 30, 2012 at 6:20 AM

I ONLY use the core-navigation Module.

I'm talking about the very first ( and only) Menu in my site. Missing are the first two(2) and the last three(3) tabs in the menu.

Also, I defined the very same Menu as 'Breadcrumb' and it shows exactly the same tabs - NOT as 'breadcrumbs' BUT as a menu 'layout' (that's the reason I refer to issue 19246)!

PS: the migration is based on an Orchard downloaded from WebMatrix!

Nov 30, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Did you run through the UpdateTo16 module features? If you did, and your items still aren't there, I suppose you'll have to re-create them.

Nov 30, 2012 at 6:34 PM

I never touched the 'upgradeTo16' i.e. I never enabled it! As said I upgraded from 1.4 to 1.5 - no problem. And now from 1.5.1. I never ran Orchard below 1.4.

When trying to recreate one of the missing Menuitems: Dashboard > Navigation > Create Content Item:

- it's created in the 'Dashboard Navigation ' screen BUT it does NOT show in the menu! HOWEVER:

- the Dashboard Navigation screen shows ALL menu items!

thanks for your time ed

Dec 1, 2012 at 5:58 AM

Maybe you should try, then, just to check. You can always disable it afterwards.

If that still doesn't work, you should attach a debugger and put a breakpoint in the relevant drivers.

Dec 1, 2012 at 5:59 AM
Edited Dec 1, 2012 at 6:02 AM

will certainly dig deeper with a debugger ... coincidence our messages just crossed!

I tested the migration from 1.5.1 to 1.6 again as follows:

- downloaded a fresh copy of 1.6 through WebMatrix

- copied my old, flawlessly running, 1.5.1 according the Orchard doc "Upgrading a site to a new version of Orchard".
(because I made changes to the site.css file I also tested with the original "TheThemeMachine" site.css --> same problem)
.... and again have a screwed Menu!

thanks for any hint, ed

Dec 1, 2012 at 6:00 AM

Seems like you have a repro then. Please file a bug.

Dec 1, 2012 at 8:55 AM
Edited Dec 1, 2012 at 8:56 AM

.... it becomes even more weird !
Based on your previous msg - 'use a debugger' - I went through the whole migration process again and , as said, failed again. The 'source' in this case was my development version which is set to en-US.
To be 100% sure that I use a running 1.5.1 I downloaded now the ISP version (which is ONLINE and running) and based on fr-FR.
With this 'fr-FR' version I did the migration again: and all is fine!

- Now when I change in (1.6) 'Global' the 'Default Site Culture' to 'en-US' my Menu is screwed.
- as soon as I go back to fr-FR my Menu is fine and I can access everything
- I can reproduce this !

PS: when I do this with my running 1.5.1 (both culture work fine!)
isn't this weird!

I assume that a freshly downloaded Orchard has en-US as the default!? Do I need to do a 'install translation with'?
thanks for your time and advise, ed
PS: I have NOT yet filed a bug!

Dec 2, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Very weird, please file a bug.

You do not need to install

Dec 3, 2012 at 5:29 AM

bug filed, ed

Dec 11, 2012 at 6:49 AM

please refer also the Orchard Issue: 19319 (Conversion 1.5.1 to 1.6 fails, Navigation )

Because of described annoying behaviour I started again investigating - and - probably found it!
I still had the Module 'Localization' active! All is ok when deactivating 'Localization' - it is reproducible!?

Thanks and sorry for your time spent !