ContentType based ID

Topics: Customizing Orchard
Nov 27, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Im looking at having URL's based on a content's ID. Im currently using the basic Content.ID (or whatever it is) in autoroute but the issue is that I want the ID to be per content type and not global.

For example, if I have a content type of news and one of blog, I would like the url to be:

and not

Would this only be possible with a custom module/part and increments everytime new content is created or is there another way? I know I can do it manually through the route section, but that would not be ideal.

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Sounds like a really strange idea, but yes, you can do that with a custom module.

Nov 28, 2012 at 2:29 AM

How could I get the previous items ID so I could increment it by one for the new ID or can I set the datamigrations to use auto increment on this field and orchard will automatically pass back the generated id?

Nov 28, 2012 at 6:09 AM

Well, that's for you to implement. Auto-increment would probably work, yes.

Dec 27, 2012 at 10:58 PM
Edited Dec 27, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Well I came up with this, though its not a very good way to do it and if you remove the latest content item (say, id 6) and add a new item, it will be 6 and not 7 since the last doesnt contain deleted items.

This is my "protected override DriverResult Editor(ContentTypeIDPart part, IUpdateModel updater, dynamic shapeHelper)" function:

if (part.ContentID == 0)
	int max = 0;
	IEnumerable<ContentTypeIDPart> x = part.ContentItem.ContentManager.List<ContentTypeIDPart>();

var e = x.GetEnumerator();

while (e.MoveNext())
		if (e.Current.ContentType.Equals(part.TypeDefinition.Name))
			if (e.Current.ContentID >= max)
				max = e.Current.ContentID;

part.ContentID = (max + 1);

part.ContentType = part.TypeDefinition.Name;

updater.TryUpdateModel(part, Prefix, null, null);
catch (Exception ex)

return Editor(part, shapeHelper);

public class ContentTypeIDPartRecord : ContentPartRecord
        public virtual string ContentType { get; set; }
        public virtual int ContentID { get; set; }

I assume I now add Tokens so I can add it to the autoroute?