Advice - setting up

Topics: General, Installing Orchard
Nov 26, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Hi there,

Really looking for some advice on set up, as I'm not sure I'm doing things in the right way. 

I'm currently trialling Orchard for a client website - presenting to them next week.  It's quite a large site, but I wouldn't say it's overly complicated - mainly just content.  But lots of it.

There are probably about 150 pages of info that need to be entered, using a combination of 4 or 5 templates including the home page.  Each template is split into between 2 and 5 content regions.

The problem I'm having is that there only seems to be one content region per page as default, and to get more you need to add HTML widgets to zones.  But these widgets display on all pages, unless you set layer rules.  But if there are a lot of pages, the list of layers will be huge in no time, and the complexity of rules could quickly become unmanageable.

So this is my question - does this sound like I'm setting up the site in the best way?  Is there a way of adding multiple content areas to a page without having complex layer rules.  If it was me looking after the site going forward, I wouldn't mind, but the clients will be looking after it themselves and have only limited web skills.  I'd like it to be really simple for them to manage, because I'm not sure the layers and layer rules will make sense to them.

If anyone knows of good tutorials that might help me, that would also be appreciate.  Seen a few, but they seem to be very simple sites with one content area.

(ps I looked at the layout selector to choose templates that bertrand suggested in another post, and that is a possibility, but really just want to know if there is a better way of doing it with multiple content areas).

Thanks in advance - let me know if more info is required.

Nov 26, 2012 at 8:31 PM

No, you can use text fields and set their flavor to html.