Breadcrumbs in orchard 1.6

Topics: Customizing Orchard, General
Nov 20, 2012 at 3:40 PM

In the release notes for 1.5 it says that navigation menus are hierachical. 

Breadcrumbs seem to require being linked to Navigation menus.

I have URL structures like:

Each of the pages that fall under each section is tied to a section ('services' and 'about' above).

However when the breadcrumbs come out they don't list the actual section. 

I just get:

(home icon) > page name 

How do I get the section to come out too? I've tried all settings for breadcrumbs, but in reality I can't see how the hierachy is created when I created the menu. 

I know that the pages that I link to in the menu do know their section, but I guess I'm hoping for a bit much for the section to be pulled out of there?

How does hierachy work in Orchard, I don't see any way to do it.

Is my best solution to edit the theme and pull the section out of there somehow?

Nov 23, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Just reflect the structure you have in URLs, in menu items. You can put a menu item under another by just dragging it to the right.

Nov 23, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Though I have been following Orchard for a while, I am relatively new to Orchard development, and I have been wondering about this myself. I've got a site where I have a blog and have added a breadcrumb widget. If I add a blog archive widget and browse to one of the blog archive pages, instead of getting breadcrumbs I get the full first level menu.

I guess I could add a menu item for that specific month's archive entry (assuming the matching works via URL), position it under the blogs nav item and this would give me the result I am looking for on that specific blog archive page. But what if I was importing a Wordpress blog, or doing a lot blogging? Because the archive page exists "virtually" and not as a tangible content item (as far as I understand it), there is no practical way to add a nav item when done in bulk. I guess this would be an issue for any module that generates dynamic routes that don't necessarily correspond to a static content item.

Is there any solution to this as the system stands? Or is it something that would need to be addressed in a future update or module? I think the approach of manually creating a menu item for every dynamic route could become tedious.

I haven't delved too deep into the plumbing of Orchard so I apologize if my assumptions above are off. BTW, the performance improvements over the last few updates are huge. Looking forward to following the project as it evolves.

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:02 PM

That would be a job for a different module. Generating breadcrumbs based on something else than navigation data is not something you'll get out of the box, sorry.