Orchard.Navigation - Deleting nodes needs verification

Topics: Administration
Nov 13, 2012 at 2:17 PM

I am in the process of upgrading a site from 1.4 to 1.6. After battling against conflicting repositories for too many hours to count I finally got it working, but it had broken a bunch of custom modules.

I diligently worked through these one by one bringing them into line with the latest version of Orchard. I then came to what i assumed would be the simple task of migrating my Advanced Menu items into the new Orchard.Navigation module. Unfortunately no combination of exporting/parsing/importing would work so I had to resort to recreating the menu structure manually. All 108 items.

I was on item 102 when the maximum depth of the tree was exceeded and I could no longer nest items any deeper, which I require for this project. I had noticed however that the new breadcrumb module has the option to include the "home" node, without the need to have that as the root of your entire navigation...

At this point I should have stopped, exported everything, backed it up three times and stapled it to my forehead. But I didn't. Instead I rashly deleted the root node, which in turn deleted EVERY item in my navigation structure (approx 5 hours mind numbing data entry). I could cry.

So I just thought I'd put up this post to say please please please add some kind of ARE YOU SURE YOU YOU WANT TO DO THIS IT WILL DELETE EVERYTHING BELOW IT YOU MASOCHISTIC IDIOT style warning message, when you try and delete an item with stuff nested below it. It might just save someone the pain I have endured/am about to re-endure.

*Throws computer out window and walks away quietly weeping*

Nov 17, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Please file a bug. Sorry for your loss.