Multilingual Home main menu item

Topics: Administration, Localization
Nov 11, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Edited Nov 11, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Hello,

Orchard creates a default home menu item in its default language.

Localizing the site, I added menu items for others languages but it seems impossible to duplicate the home page feature: the home menu has no content.

For example if I create a French 'Accueil' menu Item seems I  must attach a content page ?

The other choice could be removing the original home menu ?

??

Coordinator
Nov 12, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Not following. What home page feature? What do you mean "the home menu has no content"?

Developer
Nov 12, 2012 at 3:37 AM

When you create a menu item, be sure to also create a content item to link it to. Or, create your content item (e.g. Page) first and create a menu item for it.

Nov 12, 2012 at 8:09 AM
Edited Nov 12, 2012 at 8:12 AM

@Bertand you're right, I was totally wrong on the problem.

In fact my problem is :

- there is a page content on the Home menu....(but it is not displayed ?)
- the home page content has no culture attached, so when you try to add a translation for exemple in French, it's impossible to do it (on my side the page culture select displays only en-US and an empty item -I use french as default site language-).
I don't find where I could set that the default Home page is for en-US ?
But the Home menu item displays only when I select en-US language from Culture picker, so it is certainly marked as en-US.
But when I try to create a translation, clicking on 'New translation', I can't select 'fr-FR'....
- Creating fom Navigation a new Menu Item named 'Accueil' blocks on the select Content were, if I select a new page Content created separately, this creates a 'normal' page that will be displayed in place of the home page when selected.

If there is a solution, it is not obvious.

CS

Nov 13, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Still blocked with this English only home menu item.....

Nov 13, 2012 at 10:45 PM

I finally deleted the Home menu in Main Menu.

It's ok now, but no way to have a localized 'Home' menu.

Coordinator
Nov 14, 2012 at 5:22 AM

I still don't understand what you are trying to do, sorry. If you think there is a bug, can you please provide step-by-step instructions to reproduce?

Nov 14, 2012 at 5:28 PM
Edited Nov 14, 2012 at 10:38 PM

My site manages several languages, actually French(fr-FR) and English (en-US), fr-FR is the default language.

I have enabled Localization and CulturePicker modules

Each page is now associated with a 'language' and each page is replicated from fr-FR to its translation in en-US.

I have a Main Menu which displays only menu items related to the actual language set in a Cookie.

My Main Menu displays N menu items and should contains 2xN items.

But when trying to have the 'Home' menu Item from the main menu translated in French, displaying 'Accueil', it is impossible.

The 'Home' Menu item is associated with its page to an url which is the home url, i.e. http://www.mysite.com/

The Home Page associated to the main menu is associated to the original default language (en-US) of the site and when I try from the Content manager to create a new translation for this page, I am blocked because it doesn't accept another http://www.mysite.com/ url as the related URL

The situation is that in English I have a Home Menu Item, and not in French.
The only solution I found to have identical menus has been in removing the Home Menu from the Main Menu to have corresponding translated Menu in English and in French.

Is it more clear ?

Seems a kind of bug ? Or not totally implemented Localization concept ?

Coordinator
Nov 16, 2012 at 9:51 PM

It does sound like a bug, yes. A workaround may be to use custom link menu items instead of content menu items for the home.

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Should I log it as a bug ?

Coordinator
Nov 17, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Yes.