Is it possible to create a wizard in Orchard..... New to Orchard....

Topics: Core, Customizing Orchard, General, Writing modules
Nov 8, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Hi All,

Just entered the world of Orchard so hello. Impressed thus far.

I need to implement a wizard with skip logic(rules to skip pages for certain conditions). It is really a questionnaire with some pages having options(radio buttons), other pages with other controls, all with next and previous buttons. Would it be possible to do this with Orchard?

Currently I plan to implement this in MVC3 & EF. I did have a look at WF4, but decided to keep it simple by using JQuery Layers of forms which are visible/invisible hence giving the impression of a wizard.

I see with interest that Orchard 1.7 may have workflow.

Thoughts on the above would be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks,

Ed

Nov 19, 2012 at 3:28 PM
Edited Nov 19, 2012 at 3:29 PM

@ESSB, are you creating your own module? The logic to skip is something you should be able to work out in the controller. I have a wizard set up but I don't know if it would meet your specifications. Basically, the wizard is on the front-end. It uses MvcSerialize to persist the data. It does not use shapes in the sense of creating a new one to display/edit (and hence they are not in the ~/Parts or ~/EditorTemplates/Parts folders). It is set up to save the data input by the user into the Orchard DB (Part/PartRecord) so that the admin can then navigate in the dashboard to first view a List and then click on a Details link to show specific entries.

It's a lot of code. I don't have anywhere to post it. And my other obligations prevent me from setting up something on Codeplex any time soon (although, maybe it would benefit the community as well as help to improve the code). It wouldn't be it's own module, rather more like the Orchard.Jumpstart module, that's just there as a sort of template.

I think there is some interest in a wizard. 1.7's workflow seems very promising and maybe would make this obsolete. Let me know your thoughts.

REM

Nov 19, 2012 at 3:46 PM

REM,

Thank you for the kind post. I have since decided to keep all my wizard stuff outside of Orchard for the time being, and just have a module wrapper to integrate my custom app into orchard. Taking this approach will enable me to focus on my application. I will then review when 1.7 comes along. I need to keep things simple. I am also looking into WF4, but again I am leaving this for the minute. It does look promising with all the designers etc...

Many thanks,

Ed