Best practice to maintain Development / Testing / Staging and Production environment for Orchard for multiple customers

Topics: Customizing Orchard, Installing Orchard
Nov 7, 2012 at 6:09 PM

While I'm currently working in local downloaded codebase to develop my theme and functionalists, soon I'll be ready to deploy the same to a shared hosting environment for staging/demo and Production versions.

Can somebody describe (or point me to some documentation) what's the best way to do this and maintain the release versions with ability to upgrade to latest Orchard in future? I'm new to Mercurial but have some experience with git bur so far, I'm directly working with local copy of the downloaded codebase.

Appreciate help.

Nov 7, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Clone the source code, and update that clone as needed. That will keep you up-to-date effortlessly.

To deploy, build "compile;package" and deploy the resulting package.

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Thanks in advance for answers...

1) After making clone, do you suggest to leave that intact and create one local clone per website?

2) If yes, and if I want to make sure all the code is also pushed to a local Bit-bucket repository for sharing from different machines and/or developers, Do I need to create remote repository 1 per website?

3) For common custom modules or themes, how do I share same code between 2 different website versions without making a second copy of the code?

4) For deployment, give that I'll have separate testing and staging sites 1 per client, should I be using clicktobuild to build and deploy from scratch or use VS compile/publish/deploy method? Which one is preferable?

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:19 AM

1. Yes, unless using multi-tenancy

2. I would recommend 1 repo per site, yes.

3. You can use subrepositories

4. I use build "compile;package"