Help Starting out with Orchard...

Topics: Customizing Orchard, General
Nov 3, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Just installed Orchard CMS on Windows Server 2008 VM, using IIS 7, SQL 2008 R2 Express.

Here is what I want to use it for -

1. Document step by step, some new home projects, say for example how to setup a home network, with diagrams and links. I like the "table of content" that the orchard documentation links show.
  2. If I find a solution to a problem, link to that, e.g. a Microsoft KB Article and maybe add what I did to solve my particular issue. So, I want to be able to categorize them in a meaningful way.

I am not a developer by any means, but this is quite intriguing to me, such that I am considering learning ASP.NET just to be able to extend my orchard site!

during installation I chose the default recipe and its at that. My question, is I am hoping for some guidelines as to if I should just start out with the default and add content under blog, or is there already a theme out there that maybe better suited for me to start out with?

I like the look of the default orchard site, the contoso and the vulu theme.

Thank you so much for your help.

Coordinator
Nov 5, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Your question is a little vague. The default recipe should be fine for most things, but I'm not sure what you want to do. Categorization can be very efficiently done using taxonomies.

Nov 10, 2012 at 7:32 AM

Thanks for your reply.