General question about orchard and putting my own code in...

Topics: Core, General
Nov 2, 2012 at 9:59 PM

I am a beginner with Orchard, it seems pretty neat.  I am a software engineer and have made a few web pages in aspx (day job is desktop apps not web).  My question is, I was under the impression I could use Orchard to make the majority of the site, and then add my own c# code in.  However, I don't actually see any aspx files generated.  Am I missing something or is this not possible?  Thanks!

Nov 3, 2012 at 4:55 AM

Aspx is WebForms. Orchard uses Razor, cshtml. Also, the files are not generated. What exactly are you trying to do?

Nov 3, 2012 at 5:12 PM
Edited Nov 3, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Thank you for replying.  So are the cshtml files what gets displayed at "run time" or does iis compile something else?  I am rather confused about how it all works.  I am somewhat well versed with aspx, but this appears to be quite different. 

I am needing to create some user interfaces with text boxes, lists, and some ajax areas that update those areas.  If you could describe roughly how the files work and what you suggest I do, I would greatly appreciate it!  I'd like to know if it's worth my time to learn how to modify an orchard site or if I might as well make a site from scratch.  In the mean time I will do some research on razor etc.

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:57 AM

If you create a module you can create controllers, actions and views. Having your own module enables you to write custom code and implement entire new features, which includes creating custom user interfaces, lists and ajax areas.

Nov 4, 2012 at 10:57 AM
yellowfever13 wrote: In the mean time I will do some research on razor etc.

Suggest you concentrate on ASP.NET MVC3+.

If you look at the solution from VS you'll see Orchard.Web is the 'root' of the eventual web-app. Nested within this root sit a bunch of other MVC3 projects that typically have their own 'controllers, models, and views' plus other classes specific to the given modules. But, for the most part, everything is 'convention-based' and flows from the ASP.NET MVC3 paradigm and trying to understand Orchard without understanding those conventions will probably not work.

Nov 4, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Thank you both for the information.  I have just downloaded MVC4 for VS and started a new MVC project.  Wow it is quite complex, a whole new world.  Thanks again.