Email messaging 1.5.1 / 1.6.0

Topics: General, Troubleshooting
Oct 31, 2012 at 1:34 AM

I have a custom form on 1.5.1. On my local dev machine I setup the email smtp settings and tick require credentials. enter the username password etc and page shows red, save with no password shown and it suggests saved settings. All fine - it sends the form

I webdeploy up to webserver, and it does not send !(remote smtp seems to reject?  HELO Access denied) I try to correct settings - same red bar etc - it does not send.

I download and run on local dev machine - it sends with no issue

Upgrade to 1.6.0, new email, messaging and custom forms.

Test locally - it sends, upload to webserver - no send.

Back to local - remove tick for require credentials - it still sends!

Just what is being saved and where ?

(My server guys have lost patience with me)

Can anyone shed some light on the issues found 

Oct 31, 2012 at 4:38 AM

Could there be a network rule preventing the server from sending emails ? Firewall on the machine itself or inside your network.

Are you using thee same db with both local and server version ?

The password is encrypted using a key from the settings file, is it the same on both machines ?

Oct 31, 2012 at 4:31 PM

I am sending your Q1 to my server company guys - though they have said not several times

Checking the hash key - it is the same on both, I am using compact sql and it is uploading with webdeploy

The issue appears at the moment that I cannot determine if and when the settings are actually being saved (I am using Webmatrix).

If I enter the smtp settings and click on save I am shown the red line - the password disappears - click on save again and I get the message 'settings saved' ut it looks to me as though it has saved the settings with a blank password! This appears to be confirmed as per the log:

2012-10-31 00:56:11,641 [8] Orchard.Email.Services.EmailMessagingChannel - An unexpected error while sending a message to ActionEmail
System.Net.Mail.SmtpException: Mailbox unavailable. The server response was: Access denied - Invalid HELO name (See RFC2821
When is this actually being saved ?
Maybe I should load into VS2010? - I am trying to avoid this heavy extra workload!! 
What is the red line actually for ?
Oct 31, 2012 at 4:39 PM

There should be no red line. There must be a problem with validating the data you are entering.

The password is blank when displayed, you just enter some new data in the text box if you need to change it. The UI might need some work to be more explicit about that, I agree.

You could debug the code to see where is the empty message (red line) coming from. It's in the EmailSettings driver.

Oct 31, 2012 at 5:09 PM

I was hoping to avoid again setting up the full source in vs2010! - I will set up nevertheless

The red line - presumably this could mean the settings as a whole are invalid - which I have checked as valid - or it cannot be validated - it cannot reach the mailserver or similar. This mailserver appears ok and I have set this up explicitly to ensure it is valid - and it works using a normal email client.

Is there anything else which could prevent validation - I always get the same red line! I have another site which is working and this also shows the saving error - but it works! - I will check again

thanks for your assistance

Oct 31, 2012 at 5:11 PM
Edited Oct 31, 2012 at 5:18 PM

as validation on password shows * - then the error is on the password - it is Mail1234 at the moment so that should be fine I think?

if (string.IsNullOrEmpty(part.Password)) {
                        part.Password = previousPassword;

Then it will have the previously saved password - hence when I save on the settings it WILL save the second time?

This works on local machine - not on server

Oct 31, 2012 at 5:25 PM

You are using 1.6 you say ?

Oct 31, 2012 at 5:31 PM

yes - but I dont think it is a 1.6 issue - I have the same under 1.5.1