New module: Split testing rule

Topics: Writing modules
Oct 25, 2012 at 11:34 PM

I've added a new module to the gallery that enables split testing rules for layers. It is showing a layer based on a random percentage per request.

I wrote a small guide on the gallery page - you can read it here: https://gallery.orchardproject.net/List/Modules/Orchard.Module.Contrib.SplitRules

The module is extremely simple, but still very effective. Personally I use it for displaying some ads randomized.

Let me know what you think about it! :-)

Coordinator
Oct 26, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Maybe interesting to expand the idea to AB testing.

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Well, what do you think it lacks before it's suitable for AB testing? I mean, it's designed for that; A/B/N testing?

Did you read my small guide on the gallery? :-) ... ctrl+c -> ctrl+v ->

If you want to do a A/B test, create a layer called "Split: A" with the following rule:
split("ab", "50")
and a layer called "Split: B" with the rule:
split("ab", "50", "100")

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:39 PM

I thought about making another small module, with a rule for "new-visitor", to track if the user is visiting the site for the first time.

I will track the visitor with a small cookie (with content like "i've-seen-nothing"), containing no personal stuff. If cookies is deactivated, it should track the current session. This will, of course, never be totally reliable and webmasters should most likely inform their users about cookie policies (or what do I know).

But I think the use of this would be great, like for example informing a new visitor about help/or a welcome text, "subscribe to our newsletter", a user-feedback review and so on...

Integrating the cookie tracking with Orchard seems easy enough, through the HttpContextAccessor (similiar to what is done in the FormsAuthenticationService), and the session is same. But I'm not quite sure how well it works and what the best way is.

Does anyone got any experience in "tracking" users like that? What would be the best approach?