Site intermittently not working when published

Topics: Troubleshooting
Oct 22, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Hi All,

I'm new to Orchard, I have setup a site using WebMatrix and when running locally on IIS express it works without a problem. 

I then puplished my site with 123-reg and I am seeing all sorts of intermittent errors which dont make much sense to me Errors like:

base article 810886. Hosting on a UNC share is not supported for the 
Windows XP Platform.

I asked 123-reg and they just fobbed me off with talk to your web-developer (whic in my case is just me!)

I can dig out the log files if required.

Thanks in advance

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Please try with dynamic compilation off. If you use 1.6 rc the build process does it by default now.

i.e., rename config/Sample.HostComponents.config to config/HostComponents.config.

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Wait, they are running a hosting business on Windows XP??

Oct 23, 2012 at 5:53 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, sorry but I am completly new what does this do? I tried it and just get an unhandled exception:

The type 'Orchard.Environment.Configuration.AzureBlobTenantManager' could not be found. It may require assembly qualification, e.g. "MyType, MyAssembly".

bertandleroy, no they arent running it on XP hence my confusion over the error thrown up!

Oct 23, 2012 at 6:00 AM

Did you compile for Azure and deploy to another hosting company?

Oct 23, 2012 at 7:02 AM

Sorry, probably being dumb but I dont think so.. I followed the above instructions on renaming the above config file and recieved the error in my next post.

I dont know much about orchard (although that is probably obvious! ;) ) I built a site in webmatrix (fairly basic, a couple of changes to the theme using a child theme and a few modules from the gallery).  When I run this via webmatrix it is all fine.  So I published (I have tried using the built in publish and straight FTP) and it doesnt work throwing various errors, working one minute and not the next. 

I havent yet tried different hosting as I dont have any available and Im reluctant to buy more hosting only to find out it is something stupid I've done with the site (which seems to me more plausable than the host?)

Oct 23, 2012 at 7:26 AM

Well, there are unfortunately lots of sub-par hosting companies and what little I see from the error messages you pasted here, this one does not smell very good. Deploying Orchard.Web should just work.

Oct 23, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Ok thanks.. Thats what i thought it should just work. 

So just for a sense check, i should be able to just design the site in webmatix and then copy the whole lot via ftp to my host?

123-reg are pretty big and fairly well renowned (one of the biggest hosts in the UK) so i was a little reluctant to think it might be a hosting problem.

Thanks for your help though, I'll have a chat with them.

Oct 24, 2012 at 9:15 AM

I have a ticket outstanding with my hosting provider about this so thanks for the suggestions. 
I setup a local IIS server and it works without a problem on there so im hoping they can fix it, if not I'll look at hosting it with another provider.

Oct 24, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Well 123-reg said "The issue is not reported by our servers, but a faulty code implementation, you can try to upload the website once more to see if it will display the gallery." The site intermittently shows errors, doesnt load correctly and generally runs slowley.

Im not sure now whether it is something I've not done right but surely if it was faulty code it wouldnt run correctly on IIS express would it?

The main error we are seeing is:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Failed to start monitoring changes to '\\web-123win\winpackage21\\\web\content\bin' because the network BIOS command limit has been reached. For more information on this error, please refer to Microsoft knowledge base article 810886. Hosting on a UNC share is not supported for the Windows XP Platform.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Failed to start monitoring changes to '\\web-123win\winpackage21\\\web\content\bin' because the network BIOS command limit has been reached. For more information on this error, please refer to Microsoft knowledge base article 810886. Hosting on a UNC share is not supported for the Windows XP Platform.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[HttpException (0x80070038): Failed to start monitoring changes to '\\web-123win\winpackage21\\\web\content\bin' because the network BIOS command limit has been reached. For more information on this error, please refer to Microsoft knowledge base article 810886. Hosting on a UNC share is not supported for the Windows XP Platform.]

System.Web.DirMonCompletion..ctor(DirectoryMonitor dirMon, String dir, Boolean watchSubtree, UInt32 notifyFilter) +8931869

System.Web.DirectoryMonitor.StartMonitoring() +41

System.Web.DirectoryMonitor.StartMonitoringFileWithAssert(String file, FileChangeEventHandler callback, String alias) +159

System.Web.FileChangesMonitor.StartMonitoringPath(String alias, FileChangeEventHandler callback, FileAttributesData& fad) +852

System.Web.Caching.CacheDependency.Init(Boolean isPublic, String[] filenamesArg, String[] cachekeysArg, CacheDependency dependency, DateTime utcStart) +2475

System.Web.Caching.CacheDependency..ctor(String filename, DateTime start) +109

System.Web.Caching.CacheDependency..ctor(String filename) +54

System.Web.Hosting.MapPathBasedVirtualPathProvider.CacheLookupOrInsert(String virtualPath, Boolean isFile) +268

System.Web.Hosting.MapPathBasedVirtualPathProvider.FileExists(String virtualPath) +6

Orchard.FileSystems.Dependencies.WebFormVirtualPathProvider.FileExists(String virtualPath) in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard\FileSystems\Dependencies\WebFormsExtensionsVirtualPathProvider.cs:44

System.Web.Hosting.VirtualPathProvider.FileExists(String virtualPath) +25

Orchard.FileSystems.VirtualPath.DefaultVirtualPathProvider.FileExists(String virtualPath) in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard\FileSystems\VirtualPath\DefaultVirtualPathProvider.cs:149

Orchard.Environment.DefaultBuildManager.HasReferencedAssembly(String name) in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard\Environment\IBuildManager.cs:33

Orchard.Environment.DefaultBuildManager.GetReferencedAssembly(String name) in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard\Environment\IBuildManager.cs:37

Orchard.Environment.Extensions.Loaders.ReferencedExtensionLoader.Probe(ExtensionDescriptor descriptor) in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard\Environment\Extensions\Loaders\ReferencedExtensionLoader.cs:54

Orchard.Environment.Extensions.<>c__DisplayClass40.<CreateLoadingContext>b__17(IExtensionLoader loader) in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard\Environment\Extensions\ExtensionLoaderCoordinator.cs:203

System.Linq.WhereSelectEnumerableIterator`2.MoveNext() +151

System.Linq.WhereEnumerableIterator`1.MoveNext() +154

System.Linq.Buffer`1..ctor(IEnumerable`1 source) +217

System.Linq.Enumerable.ToArray(IEnumerable`1 source) +78

Orchard.Environment.Extensions.ExtensionLoaderCoordinator.<CreateLoadingContext>b__16(ExtensionDescriptor extension) in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard\Environment\Extensions\ExtensionLoaderCoordinator.cs:203

Orchard.Caching.<>c__DisplayClass7.<RunInParallel>b__1() in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard\Caching\DefaultParallelCacheContext.cs:24

Orchard.Caching.TaskWithAcquireContext`1.Execute() in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard\Caching\DefaultParallelCacheContext.cs:71

Orchard.Caching.DefaultParallelCacheContext.<RunInParallel>b__2(ITask`1 task) in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard\Caching\DefaultParallelCacheContext.cs:30

System.Linq.Parallel.SelectQueryOperatorResults.GetElement(Int32 index) +32

System.Linq.Parallel.ArrayMergeHelper`1.ToArrayElement(Int32 index) +22

System.Linq.Parallel.ForAllEnumerator`1.MoveNext(TInput& currentElement, Int32& currentKey) +83

System.Linq.Parallel.ForAllSpoolingTask`2.SpoolingWork() +45

System.Linq.Parallel.SpoolingTaskBase.Work() +184

System.Linq.Parallel.QueryTask.BaseWork(Object unused) +65

System.Linq.Parallel.QueryTask.RunTaskSynchronously(Object o) +41

System.Threading.Tasks.Task.InnerInvoke() +67

System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute() +66

[AggregateException: One or more errors occurred.]

System.Linq.Parallel.QueryTaskGroupState.QueryEnd(Boolean userInitiatedDispose) +276

System.Linq.Parallel.SpoolingTask.SpoolForAll(QueryTaskGroupState groupState, PartitionedStream`2 partitions, TaskScheduler taskScheduler) +130

System.Linq.Parallel.DefaultMergeHelper`2.System.Linq.Parallel.IMergeHelper<TInputOutput>.Execute() +80

System.Linq.Parallel.MergeExecutor`1.Execute(PartitionedStream`2 partitions, Boolean ignoreOutput, ParallelMergeOptions options, TaskScheduler taskScheduler, Boolean isOrdered, CancellationState cancellationState, Int32 queryId) +310

System.Linq.Parallel.PartitionedStreamMerger`1.Receive(PartitionedStream`2 partitionedStream) +34

System.Linq.Parallel.ForAllOperator`1.WrapPartitionedStream(PartitionedStream`2 inputStream, IPartitionedStreamRecipient`1 recipient, Boolean preferStriping, QuerySettings settings) +232

System.Linq.Parallel.ChildResultsRecipient.Receive(PartitionedStream`2 inputStream) +77

System.Linq.Parallel.ScanEnumerableQueryOperatorResults.GivePartitionedStream(IPartitionedStreamRecipient`1 recipient) +77

System.Linq.Parallel.UnaryQueryOperatorResults.GivePartitionedStream(IPartitionedStreamRecipient`1 recipient) +390

System.Linq.Parallel.QueryOperator`1.GetOpenedEnumerator(Nullable`1 mergeOptions, Boolean suppressOrder, Boolean forEffect, QuerySettings querySettings) +379

System.Linq.Parallel.ForAllOperator`1.RunSynchronously() +215

System.Linq.ParallelEnumerable.ForAll(ParallelQuery`1 source, Action`1 action) +242

System.Linq.Parallel.ArrayMergeHelper`1.Execute() +388

System.Linq.Parallel.QueryOperator`1.ExecuteAndGetResultsAsArray() +615

System.Linq.ParallelEnumerable.ToArray(ParallelQuery`1 source) +71

Orchard.Caching.DefaultParallelCacheContext.RunInParallel(IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 selector) in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard\Caching\DefaultParallelCacheContext.cs:27

Orchard.Environment.Extensions.ExtensionLoaderCoordinator.CreateLoadingContext() in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard\Environment\Extensions\ExtensionLoaderCoordinator.cs:201

Orchard.Environment.Extensions.ExtensionLoaderCoordinator.SetupExtensions() in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard\Environment\Extensions\ExtensionLoaderCoordinator.cs:55

Orchard.Environment.DefaultOrchardHost.BuildCurrent() in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard\Environment\DefaultOrchardHost.cs:102

Orchard.Environment.DefaultOrchardHost.Orchard.Environment.IOrchardHost.Initialize() in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard\Environment\DefaultOrchardHost.cs:68

Orchard.Web.MvcApplication.HostInitialization(HttpApplication application) in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard.Web\Global.asax.cs:48

Orchard.WarmupStarter.<>c__DisplayClass3.<LaunchStartupThread>b__2(Object state) in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard.WarmupStarter\Starter.cs:89

[ApplicationException: Error during application initialization]

Orchard.WarmupStarter.Starter`1.OnBeginRequest(HttpApplication application) in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard.WarmupStarter\Starter.cs:63

Orchard.Web.MvcApplication.Application_BeginRequest() in c:\Build\Orchard\src\Orchard.Web\Global.asax.cs:29

[TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.]

System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(IRuntimeMethodInfo method, Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeType typeOwner) +0

System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(IRuntimeMethodInfo method, Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeType typeOwner) +72

System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks) +335

System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture) +28

System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke(Object obj, Object[] parameters) +19

System.Web.Util.ArglessEventHandlerProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +57

System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +148

System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +75

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.272

Oct 24, 2012 at 4:46 PM

This looks like the file system watchers are causing issues here, please disable Dynamic Compilation and it should prevent this error to happen.

Oct 25, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Sorry i dont really know much about orchard so this is all pretty new to me, I read up on dynamic compilation here:

And yes turing off dynamic compilation seems to have stopped the error, but also stopped most modules downloaed from the gallery to stop working.  Should this be the case?

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:22 AM

You can only turn off dynamic compilation if you've taken the precaution to statically compile your modules first...