1.6 RC

Topics: Installing Orchard
Oct 19, 2012 at 4:50 PM

I see that 1.6 RC was placed on the download page as source (not web). I have been holding off upgrading from 1.4 and now just want to "test" an upgrade. However, I generally use Orchard.Web.

Can I (for testing purposes) just download the 1.6 RC source and "pluck" out the Orchard.Web folder acting as if that were the Orchard.Web.zip file? Or do I have to build (but not run) the source and then "pluck" out the Orchard.Web folder?

Thanks.

Coordinator
Oct 19, 2012 at 4:58 PM

You have to build it first.

Oct 20, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Just want to make sure I am doing this right. If not, could anyone point me to a blog/post/wiki/doc page that has good directions?

1) Download source.

2) Unzip and open up folder location.

3) Click "ClickToBuild" (Windows Command Script) and wait 5-10 minutes.

4) A new "../build/" folder will be created in the folder location where you unzipped the source.  The "../build/" folder will contain three sub-folders.

5) Go to "../build/Stage/" folder - the files in this folder are what would ordinarily be included in Orchard.Web.

Is this correct?

I have VS2012, but I am not proficient. When I set the Orchard.Web folder as the Startup Project and then build it I get over 800MB because of all the builds. I am not sure how to change that in VS and don't want to "break" anything. So I presume the "ClickToBuild" is the right method.

Thanks, in advance, for the the assistance.

Coordinator
Oct 20, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Yes, except that build "compile;package" will get you the same result in a fraction of the time. You can also publish the Orchard.Web project from VS.

See http://docs.orchardproject.net/Documentation/Building-and-deploying-Orchard-from-a-source-code-drop

Oct 20, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Thanks.