ResourceManager doesn't find my DefineStyle entry

Topics: Writing themes
Oct 7, 2012 at 9:46 PM
Edited Oct 7, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Hi,

So I codegen'd a 'design' module I hoped to be able to use to support multiple themes.

And I added a resource manifest file and added some script and style references to it.

Then I created a theme module and added to its references my module and the modules that were referenced in the Orchard.Jquery module.

I also added those references to my design module also. So everything could have a copy of the functionality that was necessary for letting my theme module get scripts and styles from my design module.

So it didn't work and I did some coarse tests to make sure I had the syntax in working shape.

I had to enable and install the theme. And something was wrong with the theme.txt (maybe the URL I gave it did't exist?).

When I was getting close, I started to get an error in the ui telling me it couldn't find a certain style sheet and it identified it as the first file in the list of Style.Required's in my Document.html file.

So I debugged into the method that parses my stylesheet file for the list of Style and Script Required statements.

The item that revealed a little more about the problem showed that it was expecting to find the Styles and Scripts in the Orchard.Ui.Resources. (I'm pretty sure that's what it wanted to tell me.)

I looked at my resource manifest in my design module and it seems that Orchard placed its code in a namespace created out of my primary namespace name and a secondary namespace name called 'jquery'.

Therefore I'm guesing the Resource Manager group of methods cannot find the manifest.DefineStyle entry for my style because its not looking into my namespace but rather into the Orchard.Jquery namespace in the Orchard.Jquery module.

So do I have to put my resource manifest and all the resources into the Orchard.jquery module? (I can see some problems in that direction...)

Or can I set a config entry somewhere that will tell the Resource Manager to look into my design module and my namespace in addition to Orchard.Jquery?

Thanks,

Kimball

Oct 8, 2012 at 7:57 PM
Edited Oct 8, 2012 at 8:03 PM
Just so its clear what I've got going here:

I believe that my effort here is about deducing the functionality of the resource manifest feature used in Orchard.

I am guessing that this feature is based on the similar resource manager functionality in the ASP.NET Ajax Kit developed by neudesic for MS.

So I'm providing my resource manifest class and my document.cshtml with the Style require links.

Perhaps someone who knows how this works can point out my problem.

Thanks,

Kimball

First below, I'm providing the code from the resource manifest from my 'design' module.

Notice the entry for reset-css in the DefineStyle section.

This is the first style sheet that the resource manifest feature tries to find.

Below you can compare that with the call to Style.Require in the Document.cshtml in the custom Theme module.

Finally at the bottom, I'm providing the web error page.

The problem appears to be about the URL location finding feature of the DefineScript/DefineStyle setters.

In contrast, these two lines do produce script links in the view source of the document.cshtml.

Style.Require("http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Oswald").AtHead();
Style.Require("http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.8.2/jquery.min.js").AtHead();

They are the only lines that produce output using the Style/Script.require syntax.

But these two lines are not listed in the resource manifest file, and seem to be using a capability of Style.Requre that does not depend on the resource manifest file.

From a software design decision viewpoint, I think there's no value in using Style/Script Require directly without leveraging the resource manifest in a custom module ala Orchard.Jquery.

using Orchard.UI.Resources;

namespace BassettCreek.jQuery {
    public class ResourceManifest : IResourceManifestProvider {
        public void BuildManifests(ResourceManifestBuilder builder) {
            var manifest = builder.Add();
            // reusable SCRIPTS - 
            // NOTE: do not use SCRIPTS already included in Orchard.Jquery module - they are already available in all Orchard Projects
            manifest.DefineScript("jQuery17").SetUrl("jquery-1.7.1.min.js", "jquery-1.7.1.js").SetVersion("1.7.1");
            manifest.DefineScript("jQuery18").SetUrl("jquery-1.8.2.min.js").SetVersion("1.8.2");

manifest.DefineScript("easyTooltip-js").SetUrl("easyTooltip.js").SetDependencies("jQuery18");
            manifest.DefineScript("FF-cash-js").SetUrl("FF-cash.js", "FF-cash.js").SetDependencies("jQuery18");
            manifest.DefineScript("forms-js").SetUrl("forms.js", "forms.js").SetDependencies("jQuery18");
            manifest.DefineScript("hover-image-js").SetUrl("hover-image.js", "hover-image.js").SetDependencies("jQuery18");
            manifest.DefineScript("jcarousellite-1-0-1-js").SetUrl("jcarousellite_1.0.1.js").SetDependencies("jQuery18");
            manifest.DefineScript("jquery-easing-1-3-js").SetUrl("jquery.easing.1.3.js").SetDependencies("jQuery18");
            manifest.DefineScript("jquery-hoverIntent-js").SetUrl("jquery.hoverIntent.js").SetDependencies("jQuery18");
            manifest.DefineScript("jquery-prettyPhoto-js").SetUrl("jquery.prettyPhoto.js").SetDependencies("jQuery18");
            manifest.DefineScript("jquery-roundabout-js").SetUrl("jquery.roundabout.js").SetVersion("2.1.1").SetDependencies("jQuery18");
            manifest.DefineScript("jquery-ui-totop-js").SetUrl("jquery.ui.totop.js").SetDependencies("jQuery18");
            manifest.DefineScript("PIE-htc").SetUrl("PIE.htc");
            manifest.DefineScript("PIE-php").SetUrl("PIE.php").SetDependencies("PIE-htc");
            manifest.DefineScript("script-js").SetUrl("script.js").SetDependencies("jQuery18");
            manifest.DefineScript("superfish-js").SetUrl("superfish.js").SetDependencies("jQuery18");
            manifest.DefineScript("tabs-js").SetUrl("tabs.js").SetDependencies("jQuery18");

// reusable STYLES - 
            // NOTE: do not use STYLES already included in Orchard.Jquery module - they are already available in all Orchard Projects
            manifest.DefineStyle("grid-css").SetUrl("grid.css").SetDependencies("grid-js").SetVersion("1.0.0");
            manifest.DefineStyle("ie-css").SetUrl("ie.css").SetVersion("1.0.0");
            manifest.DefineStyle("prettyPhoto-css").SetUrl("prettyPhoto.css").SetDependencies("prettyPhoto-js").SetVersion("1.0.0");
            manifest.DefineStyle("reset-css").SetUrl("reset.css");
            manifest.DefineStyle("superfish-css").SetUrl("superfish.css").SetVersion("1.4.8").SetDependencies("superfish-js");
            manifest.DefineStyle("style-css").SetUrl("style.css").SetVersion("1.0.0");
            manifest.DefineStyle("ui-totop-css").SetUrl("ui.totop.css").SetDependencies("ui-totop-js").SetVersion("1.0.0");
        }
    }
}

[document.cshtml] 

@using Orchard.Mvc.Html;
@using Orchard.UI.Resources;
@using BassettCreek.jQuery;
@{
    Style.Require("reset-css").AtHead();
    Style.Require("style-css").AtHead();
    Style.Require("grid-css").AtHead();
    Style.Require("prettyPhoto-css").AtHead();
    Style.Require("ui-totop-css").AtHead();
    Style.Require("http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Oswald").AtHead();
    Style.Require("http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.8.2/jquery.min.js").AtHead();

Script.Include("html5.js").UseCondition("lt IE 9").AtHead();
    Script.Require("jquery-1-8-2-min-js").AtHead();
    Script.Require("superfish-js").AtHead();
    Script.Require("jquery-hoverIntent-js").AtHead();
    Script.Require("FF-cash-js").AtHead();
    Script.Require("script-js").AtHead();
    Script.Require("jquery-easing-1-3-js").AtHead();
    Script.Require("tabs-js").AtHead();
    Script.Require("jquery-roundabout-js").AtHead();
    Script.Require("jquery-prettyPhoto-js").AtHead();
    Script.Require("hover-image-js").AtHead();
    Script.Require("jquery-ui-totop-js").AtHead();
    RegisterLink(new LinkEntry {Type = "image/x-icon", Rel = "shortcut icon", Href = Url.Content("~/modules/orchard.themes/Content/orchard.ico")});
    RegisterLink(new LinkEntry {Type = "image/x-icon", Rel = "fav icon", Href = Url.Content("~/Content/favicon.ico")});
    RegisterLink(new LinkEntry {Type = "image/x-icon", Rel = "icon", Href = Url.Content("~/Content/favicon.ico")});

string title = Convert.ToString(Model.Title);
    string siteName = Convert.ToString(WorkContext.CurrentSite.SiteName);
}
<!DOCTYPE html> 
<html lang="@WorkContext.CurrentCulture" class="static @Html.ClassForPage()"> 
<head> 
    <meta charset="utf-8" />
    <title>@Html.Title(title, siteName)</title> 
    @Display(Model.Head)
    <script>        (function (d) { d.className = "dyn" + d.className.substring(6, d.className.length); })(document.documentElement);</script> 
</head> 
<body>
@* Layout (template) is in the Body zone @ the default position (nothing, zero, zilch) *@
@Display(Model.Body)
@Display(Model.Tail)
</body>
</html>
[Web page error]
Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A 'stylesheet' named 'reset-css' could not be found. 
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: A 'stylesheet' named 'reset-css' could not be found.

Source Error: 

Line 259:                    throw new InvalidOperationException(String.Format(CultureInfo.CurrentCulture, "A '{1}' named '{0}' could not be found.", settings.Name, settings.Type));
Line 260:                }
Line 261:                ExpandDependencies(resource, settings, allResources);
Line 262:            }
Line 263:            requiredResources = (from DictionaryEntry entry in allResources 

Source File: c:\Active\Implement\Market\HRS\DEV\Themes\Arch-9-2012\src\Orchard\UI\Resources\ResourceManager.cs    Line: 261 

Stack Trace: 

[InvalidOperationException: A 'stylesheet' named 'reset-css' could not be found.]
   Orchard.UI.Resources.ResourceManager.BuildRequiredResources(String resourceType) in c:\Active\Implement\Market\HRS\DEV\Themes\Arch-9-2012\src\Orchard\UI\Resources\ResourceManager.cs:261
   Orchard.Core.Shapes.CoreShapes.WriteResources(Object Display, TextWriter Output, String resourceType, Nullable`1 includeLocation, Nullable`1 excludeLocation) in c:\Active\Implement\Market\HRS\DEV\Themes\Arch-9-2012\src\Orchard.Web\Core\Shapes\CoreShapes.cs:366
   CallSite.Target(Closure , CallSite , CoreShapes , Object , TextWriter , String , Object , Object ) +386
   System.Dynamic.UpdateDelegates.UpdateAndExecuteVoid6(CallSite site, T0 arg0, T1 arg1, T2 arg2, T3 arg3, T4 arg4, T5 arg5) +1307
   Orchard.Core.Shapes.CoreShapes.StylesheetLinks(Object Display, TextWriter Output) in c:\Active\Implement\Market\HRS\DEV\Themes\Arch-9-2012\src\Orchard.Web\Core\Shapes\CoreShapes.cs:324

[TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.]
   System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor) +0
   System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments) +76
   System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture) +193
   System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke(Object obj, Object[] parameters) +35
   Orchard.DisplayManagement.Descriptors.ShapeAttributeStrategy.ShapeAttributeBindingStrategy.PerformInvoke(DisplayContext displayContext, MethodInfo methodInfo, Object serviceInstance) in c:\Active\Implement\Market\HRS\DEV\Themes\Arch-9-2012\src\Orchard\DisplayManagement\Descriptors\ShapeAttributeStrategy\ShapeAttributeBindingStrategy.cs:64
   Orchard.DisplayManagement.Descriptors.ShapeAttributeStrategy.<>c__DisplayClass4.<CreateDelegate>b__3(DisplayContext context) in c:\Active\Implement\Market\HRS\DEV\Themes\Arch-9-2012\src\Orchard\DisplayManagement\Descriptors\ShapeAttributeStrategy\ShapeAttributeBindingStrategy.cs:55
   Orchard.DisplayManagement.Descriptors.<>c__DisplayClass5.<BoundAs>b__2(DisplayContext displayContext) in c:\Active\Implement\Market\HRS\DEV\Themes\Arch-9-2012\src\Orchard\DisplayManagement\Descriptors\ShapeAlterationBuilder.cs:55
   Orchard.DisplayManagement.Implementation.DefaultDisplayManager.Process(ShapeBinding shapeBinding, IShape shape, DisplayContext context) in c:\Active\Implement\Market\HRS\DEV\Themes\Arch-9-2012\src\Orchard\DisplayManagement\Implementation\DefaultDisplayManager.cs:179
   Orchard.DisplayManagement.Implementation.DefaultDisplayManager.Execute(DisplayContext context) in c:\Active\Implement\Market\HRS\DEV\Themes\Arch-9-2012\src\Orchard\DisplayManagement\Implementation\DefaultDisplayManager.cs:88
   Orchard.DisplayManagement.Implementation.DisplayHelper.ShapeExecute(Object shape) in c:\Active\Implement\Market\HRS\DEV\Themes\Arch-9-2012\src\Orchard\DisplayManagement\Implementation\DisplayHelper.cs:71
   Orchard.DisplayManagement.Implementation.DisplayHelper.Invoke(String name, INamedEnumerable`1 parameters) in c:\Active\Implement\Market\HRS\DEV\Themes\Arch-9-2012\src\Orchard\DisplayManagement\Implementation\DisplayHelper.cs:38
   Orchard.DisplayManagement.Implementation.DisplayHelperBehavior.InvokeMember(Func`1 proceed, Object target, String name, INamedEnumerable`1 args) in c:\Active\Implement\Market\HRS\DEV\Themes\Arch-9-2012\src\Orchard\DisplayManagement\Implementation\DisplayHelperFactory.cs:27
   ClaySharp.<>c__DisplayClass16.<InvokeMember>b__13() in C:\Users\sebros\My Projects\Clay\src\ClaySharp\ClayBehaviorCollection.cs:29
   ClaySharp.ClayBehaviorCollection.Execute(Func`1 proceed, Func`3 linker) in C:\Users\sebros\My Projects\Clay\src\ClaySharp\ClayBehaviorCollection.cs:13
   Orchard.Core.Shapes.CoreShapes.DocumentZone(Object Display, Object Shape, TextWriter Output) in c:\Active\Implement\Market\HRS\DEV\Themes\Arch-9-2012\src\Orchard.Web\Core\Shapes\CoreShapes.cs:254

[TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.]
   System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor) +0
   System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments) +76
   System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture) +193
   System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke(Object obj, Object[] parameters) +35
   Orchard.DisplayManagement.Descriptors.ShapeAttributeStrategy.ShapeAttributeBindingStrategy.PerformInvoke(DisplayContext displayContext, MethodInfo methodInfo, Object serviceInstance) in c:\Active\Implement\Market\HRS\DEV\Themes\Arch-9-2012\src\Orchard\DisplayManagement\Descriptors\ShapeAttributeStrategy\ShapeAttributeBindingStrategy.cs:64
   Orchard.DisplayManagement.Descriptors.ShapeAttributeStrategy.<>c__DisplayClass4.<CreateDelegate>b__3(DisplayContext context) in c:\Active\Implement\Market\HRS\DEV\Themes\Arch-9-2012\src\Orchard\DisplayManagement\Descriptors\ShapeAttributeStrategy\ShapeAttributeBindingStrategy.cs:55
   Orchard.DisplayManagement.Descriptors.<>c__DisplayClass5.<BoundAs>b__2(DisplayContext displayContext) in c:\Active\Implement\Market\HRS\DEV\Themes\Arch-9-2012\src\Orchard\DisplayManagement\Descriptors\ShapeAlterationBuilder.cs:55
   Orchard.DisplayManagement.Implementation.DefaultDisplayManager.Process(ShapeBinding shapeBinding, IShape shape, DisplayContext context) in c:\Active\Implement\Market\HRS\DEV\Themes\Arch-9-2012\src\Orchard\DisplayManagement\Implementation\DefaultDisplayManager.cs:179
   Orchard.DisplayManagement.Implementation.DefaultDisplayManager.Execute(DisplayContext context) in c:\Active\Implement\Market\HRS\DEV\Themes\Arch-9-2012\src\Orchard\DisplayManagement\Implementation\DefaultDisplayManager.cs:88
   Orchard.DisplayManagement.Implementation.DisplayHelper.ShapeExecute(Object shape) in c:\Active\Implement\Market\HRS\DEV\Themes\Arch-9-2012\src\Orchard\DisplayManagement\Implementation\DisplayHelper.cs:71
   Orchard.DisplayManagement.Implementation.DisplayHelper.Invoke(String name, INamedEnumerable`1 parameters) in c:\Active\Implement\Market\HRS\DEV\Themes\Arch-9-2012\src\Orchard\DisplayManagement\Implementation\DisplayHelper.cs:38
   Orchard.DisplayManagement.Implementation.DisplayHelperBehavior.InvokeMember(Func`1 proceed, Object target, String name, INamedEnumerable`1 args) in c:\Active\Implement\Market\HRS\DEV\Themes\Arch-9-2012\src\Orchard\DisplayManagement\Implementation\DisplayHelperFactory.cs:27
   ClaySharp.<>c__DisplayClass16.<InvokeMember>b__13() in C:\Users\sebros\My Projects\Clay\src\ClaySharp\ClayBehaviorCollection.cs:29
   ClaySharp.ClayBehaviorCollection.Execute(Func`1 proceed, Func`3 linker) in C:\Users\sebros\My Projects\Clay\src\ClaySharp\ClayBehaviorCollection.cs:13
   System.Dynamic.UpdateDelegates.UpdateAndExecute2(CallSite site, T0 arg0, T1 arg1) +975
   ASP._Page_Themes_Architex_Views_Document_cshtml.Execute() in c:\Active\Implement\Market\HRS\DEV\Themes\Arch-9-2012\src\Orchard.Web\Themes\Architex\Views\Document.cshtml:37
   System.Web.WebPages.WebPageBase.ExecutePageHierarchy() +280
   System.Web.Mvc.WebViewPage.ExecutePageHierarchy() +104
   System.Web.WebPages.WebPageBase.ExecutePageHierarchy(WebPageContext pageContext, TextWriter writer, WebPageRenderingBase startPage) +173
   System.Web.Mvc.Html.PartialExtensions.Partial(HtmlHelper htmlHelper, String partialViewName, Object model, ViewDataDictionary viewData) +158
   Orchard.DisplayManagement.Descriptors.ShapeTemplateStrategy.ShapeTemplateBindingStrategy.Render(ShapeDescriptor shapeDescriptor, DisplayContext displayContext, HarvestShapeInfo harvestShapeInfo, HarvestShapeHit harvestShapeHit) in c:\Active\Implement\Market\HRS\DEV\Themes\Arch-9-2012\src\Orchard\DisplayManagement\Descriptors\ShapeTemplateStrategy\ShapeTemplateBindingStrategy.cs:134
   Orchard.DisplayManagement.Descriptors.ShapeTemplateStrategy.<>c__DisplayClass28.<Discover>b__15(DisplayContext displayContext) in c:\Active\Implement\Market\HRS\DEV\Themes\Arch-9-2012\src\Orchard\DisplayManagement\Descriptors\ShapeTemplateStrategy\ShapeTemplateBindingStrategy.cs:118
   Orchard.DisplayManagement.Implementation.DefaultDisplayManager.Execute(DisplayContext context) in c:\Active\Implement\Market\HRS\DEV\Themes\Arch-9-2012\src\Orchard\DisplayManagement\Implementation\DefaultDisplayManager.cs:98
   System.Dynamic.UpdateDelegates.UpdateAndExecute2(CallSite site, T0 arg0, T1 arg1) +975
   Orchard.Mvc.ViewEngines.ThemeAwareness.<>c__DisplayClass7.<FindView>b__5(ViewContext viewContext, TextWriter writer, IViewDataContainer viewDataContainer) in c:\Active\Implement\Market\HRS\DEV\Themes\Arch-9-2012\src\Orchard\Mvc\ViewEngines\ThemeAwareness\LayoutAwareViewEngine.cs:63
   Orchard.Mvc.ViewEngines.ThemeAwareness.LayoutView.Render(ViewContext viewContext, TextWriter writer) in c:\Active\Implement\Market\HRS\DEV\Themes\Arch-9-2012\src\Orchard\Mvc\ViewEngines\ThemeAwareness\LayoutAwareViewEngine.cs:90
   System.Web.Mvc.ViewResultBase.ExecuteResult(ControllerContext context) +378
   System.Web.Mvc.<>c__DisplayClass1c.<InvokeActionResultWithFilters>b__19() +33
   System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionResultFilter(IResultFilter filter, ResultExecutingContext preContext, Func`1 continuation) +726368
   System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionResultFilter(IResultFilter filter, ResultExecutingContext preContext, Func`1 continuation) +726368
   System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionResultWithFilters(ControllerContext controllerContext, IList`1 filters, ActionResult actionResult) +265
   System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeAction(ControllerContext controllerContext, String actionName) +726324
   System.Web.Mvc.Controller.ExecuteCore() +159
   System.Web.Mvc.ControllerBase.Execute(RequestContext requestContext) +334
   System.Web.Mvc.<>c__DisplayClassb.<BeginProcessRequest>b__5() +62
   System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass1.<MakeVoidDelegate>b__0() +15
   System.Web.Mvc.<>c__DisplayClasse.<EndProcessRequest>b__d() +52
   Orchard.Mvc.Routes.HttpAsyncHandler.EndProcessRequest(IAsyncResult result) in c:\Active\Implement\Market\HRS\DEV\Themes\Arch-9-2012\src\Orchard\Mvc\Routes\ShellRoute.cs:147
   System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +606
   System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +288

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.17929 

Oct 8, 2012 at 10:11 PM

WHat about this:

Is there a difference between the script/style location process when a them is codegen'd as a project vs not-a-project?

Is the URL resolution more straightforward when a new them is generated as part of the Themes.project?

Thanks,

Oct 9, 2012 at 5:05 AM

I moved this post to the forum about MODULES under the title:

How can I be sure the types in my module are registered with the container?

THanks,

Kimball

Coordinator
Oct 9, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Can you summarize your question in a few lines?

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Yes, I was able to get down to the problem so I could state it in a few lines.

I had to spend a bunch of hours with the platform to discover that you have included a mechanism to consume modules in a pluggable fashion rather than by reference.

Until then I had to describe the experience.

Then I asked the question:

How can I be sure the types in my module are registered with the container?

Thanks,

Kimball

Coordinator
Oct 10, 2012 at 1:02 AM

The need to implement IDependency or another interface that inherits from it, and the feature that they belong to needs to be enabled.