Downloading site from Remote Site fails in WebMatrix 2

Topics: Installing Orchard
Sep 29, 2012 at 5:52 PM

I have successfully installed an Orchard Website on and everything is working fine.

However I would like to code, create themes etc. and in order to do that, I am trying to Download a copy of my Remote site to my computer (it is to frustrating to work with site remotely and it requires that I always have an internet connection) in Web Matrix 2.

The site is downloading fine, Orchard as well, but as soon as I get to the local changes it fails with the following message:

"The database 'DB_8756_orchard965' could not be created"

If I look in "View installer log" I get the following:

DownloadManager Information: 0 : Adding product 'OrchardCMS' to the cart
DownloadManager Information: 0 : Starting install sequence
DownloadManager Information: 0 : Using cached file at C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Web Platform Installer\installers\OrchardCMS\f5538b50d8c23880c5852fe1f65b074cdb0f101b\ instead of downloading from
DownloadManager Information: 0 : Created application definition using id 'OrchardCMS' for site ''

Which doesnt really tell me much.

Is there anyway to actually discover why it failed (a more meaningful log), or is there someone who nows how to fix it?

Best regards and thank you in advance!

Sep 30, 2012 at 5:31 AM

Well that's a question that would be better asked on WebMatrix forums or to your hosting company. In any case, I'm afraid you got things backwards: you should have a local development environment, and then deploy from there to production. Since you started this way, you'll need to recreate a copy of the site, yes, but WebMatrix is not the only way to do so. Your hosting company probably gave you FTP access to the site too, and a way to backup the database.

Sep 30, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Thank you for your reply :)

I agree my situation is a bit different, I actually have two computers that I work on and I would like the remote server to serve as a kind of repository.

For others in the same situation, I have discovered it is my hosting provider that does not allow me to download the database, which I guess is why I get the error. I am using Winhost to host the site.

Best regards,

Sep 30, 2012 at 6:50 PM
Edited Sep 30, 2012 at 6:50 PM

That sounds wrong. How about using a real repository? Bitbucket has private Mercurial and Git repositories for example.

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Again thank you for your reply.

You are correct, it was a weird way to go about it, but one that seemed feasible, had my hosting company allowed it. I will create a Git repository and do it the right way :)

Best regards,