Memebership type adopted for Orchard ?

Topics: Administration, Customizing Orchard, Francais (French), General, Installing Orchard
Sep 24, 2012 at 9:31 PM
Edited Sep 24, 2012 at 9:33 PM

First I would like to know if is there any orchard database documentation, then which provider for session is used in the latest version of Orchard, what about its membership, Roles and User Profile on SQL compact.

I know that Microsoft now is changing its strategy for Membership with its new Framework 4.5 Simple membership. It is adopted for MVC4 but still not compliant with Web site Administration Tool.

Also, I think it could be a good thing if Orchard website could have 2 database 1 .sdf which could be encrypted and serves for authentication and 1 .mdf for other tasks. This is more secure with less performance loss, when shared hosting is used. 

What's your opinion please?

Sep 24, 2012 at 10:09 PM

The session provider is the one that's defined in web.config. It does its own membership, profiles & roles.

My opinion on your proposed split of the database is that it's more complicated than most users will be willing to accommodate for, and it's incompatible with how users in Orchard are content items. Also, I don't see how it's more secure. The passwords are already stored using best practices (crypto hashes, salt, etc.).

Sep 27, 2012 at 9:10 AM
Edited Sep 27, 2012 at 9:12 AM

On my side I am more interested in what is going on with OpenID and OAuth, Claim based authentication (Azure, MS CRM, Office 365, ADFS, WIF, FB, Twitter, etc.).
The actual system do not need to be changed as far as we could use modules allowing to integrate some 'external/complementary authentication', but .... I am just on the start with Orchard.

Sep 27, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Microsoft on its .net 4.5 Framework updated its Authentication technic, please look at this link. Will Orchard adopt the same technic ?

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:00 AM
Edited Sep 29, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Ok, je n'avais pas vu cela, interessant.
Should Orchard comply with this typical MS strategy ? The article mentions that it integrates with EF which is not Orchard standart.

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Il faut bien avoir les idées claires là dessus, pour décider du meilleur chemin à prendre.

Especially for people who want to build a mixed  application using both Orchard and MVC4 .