Getting Ideas for Custom Module/Theme Folders

Topics: Core
Sep 11, 2012 at 12:42 AM

I mentioned something at Orchard Harvest that it sounded like there was some interest in.  Basically, I would like to be able to take groups of custom modules and themes and put them in their own folder to be picked up by Orchard.  The major benefit of this is to allow for managing a client's custom code in one sub-repository.  I've been dabbling in the Orchard source code a bit to see how it's done.  I thought I would just post this message to see if anyone else had input on how they would like this done.  For example, should it just be another convention where we can prefix a folder with "Custom.*" and that gets picked up?  Or maybe a config file?  

I'll need to of course make sure that this plays nice with Orchard in every way.  Any gotchas you can think of?  I'll be searching for anything with a dependency on the Modules and Themes folder structure.  

Sep 12, 2012 at 5:06 PM

I would make the convention *.Modules. Maybe we should actually modify the built-in module loader. This will make it a lot easier to maintain custom repositories with a choice of custom modules. Someone who would want to develop this should take a look at CoreExtensionLoader.

Sep 12, 2012 at 10:49 PM

I created this: Vote it up!

Sep 13, 2012 at 4:15 AM
Edited Sep 13, 2012 at 4:15 AM

Yep, I like that convention.  Thanks for the tip on looking at the CoreExtensionLoader.  Unless someone beats me to it, I plan to implement this.  I think I'll also need to consider the build target that copies the modules to staging.  I'll add a summary comment to the issue you created.  Thanks!