Where to put big video and PDF files?

Topics: General
Aug 29, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Should I use the media folder (it's UI seems optimized for images) or something else?

I need administrators to upload the files and link them from pages and users to download them (hopefully without putting too much stress on the already overworked VMs ... )

Aug 29, 2012 at 8:47 PM

I wrote a module for using Amazon S3 as the storage provider.  Whichever way you go, if you're doing large files or video, you should think about using a CDN too.  Maybe a reverse proxy as well.  Those would help immensely in unloading your VMs. 

Aug 30, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Thanks BrandonJoyce, the thing is my servers and all users (this is an internal site) are on the same very high speed network. A CDN is not really an option.

Aug 31, 2012 at 7:57 PM
Edited Aug 31, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Well then the reverse proxy idea would probably help.  It basically sits in front of your website and serves up all your static content and only goes to your webserver when dynamic content is needed.  With that setup, I would be comfortable with using the media folder as it wouldn't get hit very often.  

Of course, if performance is fine without it, then I just wouldn't worry about it. :)