Disable "Publish Now" for non-Publishers

Topics: Administration, Troubleshooting
Aug 28, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Is there a way to hide or disable the button object from visibility when a user is assigned a role that does not allow publishing?

From an end-user perspective when a non-publishing content author attempts to click, albeit accidentally, Publish Now the author will lose his/her copy. The Publish Now will not implicitly save the content as a draft but rather will attempt to publish. Thus, the clicking of the Publish Now will not keep the content that was drafted. This equates to lost time and end-user frustration.

I know they should read and avoid clicking but we are all prone to errors.

Aug 28, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Best to report this as an issue, as I don't think this is intended.

Aug 28, 2012 at 4:43 PM
Edited Aug 28, 2012 at 4:44 PM

It's possible that an aspect of what I described could be a bug but the core of my inquiry is wanting to know if there is a solution. For example, if a non-publisher is creating a page, it would be ideal for the Publish Now to, instead, state Save Draft. When it states Save Draft the functionality would be to save the state of the content that had been drafted.

Aug 28, 2012 at 6:03 PM

File a bug, the publish button should not be displayed in this case. It's easy to fix. The SummaryAdmin template does that, we need to reproduce in the Editor.

Aug 28, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Issue created Id #18995.