Orchard and other CMS

Topics: General
Aug 23, 2012 at 8:59 PM

We are planning to build a cms type website for scientific community at our university. I have been looking at some of the PHP based cms systems like Joomla/WordPress and Orchard. I am responsible for developing/extending this website. I am .Net/C# programmer and has no experience with PHP. I would love to use Orchard. The only thing for which I am hesitant to use Orchard for a big project like the one that we are planning to implement is Orchard is so new and there are not many modules available at this point compared to other cms systems. In that case we have to do lot of developmental work in developing all the functionalities we want.

Any comments/suggestions will be appreciated.

pkdash   

Aug 24, 2012 at 4:05 AM

Orchard is one of the most flexible systems I've ever worked with.  If you're prepared to write a little .Net code anyway, I think it's a great way to go.  Of course, if you can just spin up wordpress and there are already modules for what you need then it's probably tough to justify the time spent learning Orchard, and writing the modules.  As a dev though, I reach for Orchard quite often these days.  The investment of my time learning it has been worth the effort.  Every project is different though.

Aug 24, 2012 at 5:21 AM

Thanks for your comments. I am sure there will be a need for our project do some custom development no matter what CMS we choose. The only difference would be the amount of coding. Then again I would prefer to do much more C# coding then some amount of PHP coding.