Meeting notes for 8/15/2012

Topics: Announcements
Coordinator
Aug 15, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Orchard 1.6: it's all about dependency updates. 1.x runs today with MVC 4, nHibernate 3, VS 2012 (but back-compat with 2010), etc. We need people to update to the latest in 1.x and start pounding on it so we discover the issues now. Release date to be decided with Sébastien this week.

Harvest: more people have been signing up or are about to.

Nick made a demo of his front-end portal editing experience. The "orchard toolbelt" UI that he built on the left of those screens could be combined with shape tracing into a unique and extensible front-end toolbelt. The UI could also get out of the way in order not to interfere with the layout and adaptive styling.

No triage this week as Sébastien couldn't connect. We discussed conference software, and the consensus is that Lync is the preferred one, but we have to make it work smoothly for the next times.

We discussed (for 1.7) a grouping feature for content parts and fields. Parts are supposed to be self-contained, but it often makes sense to group fields and parts in groups that make sense for the specific application, or in tabs so that you don't end-up with an endlessly vertically scrolling edit form. Placement gives some flexibility in positioning, but if you want to put a fieldset for example around more than one part or field, you're forced to override the whole content item template and hard-code rendering of the shapes therein. The proposed design is to add a group and/or tab property to shape metadata. An additional shape could then be added around the parts and fields that have those properties. That shape could then be placed and alternated, and the parts and fields contained could be placed within it. This could be exposed in the placement editor as well, and/or as a setting of the part or field, and/or as a new placement feature. Bertrand and Sébastien will discuss design.

Aug 16, 2012 at 5:12 AM

Good!!!

Coordinator
Aug 16, 2012 at 6:34 AM

Recording is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANIqOIQmyvo&feature=em-uploademail

Aug 16, 2012 at 6:54 AM

@bertrand I very much appreciate the summarized notes.  I can't always listen in on the meeting, and the videos are often a little drawn out too.  Thanks again.

Aug 16, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Thanks for the video!

Aug 16, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Just wanted to mention how much I appreciate these weekly updates!

I love the idea of providing a tabbed interface in the editor. I have been incorporating tabs in my views for logical grouping when I have a part with a lot of fields. As you say, it minimizes scrolling and makes editing much easier!

Regards,

Dave